The Rain Watcher by Tatiana de Rosnay

The Rain Watcher

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Interesting characters but no plot. Another story of one family's disfunction. ( )
  bogopea | Dec 27, 2018 |
I received this as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed the story of a troubled family and thought the characters were realistic. Sometimes the word choice was questionable, not the words a native English speaker would use, but it didn’t prevent me from enjoying the story. Fans of Sarah’s Key should know this is quite different. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
Is it bad that the descriptions of Paris flooding were the most interesting part of this novel for me? Certainly, I emphasized with the central character of Linden, a photographer whose father is in the hospital, effectively disrupting a planned family weekend intended to celebrate his 70th birthday. All the while, the water level rises in the city, and in a world with poignant memories of flooding in Houston and more recently Venice, the rising river banks represent so much more tan just water. Good reading, although to be honest, I still haven't quite worked out the point of the whole thing. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 17, 2018 |
What a joy to read a family drama written by Tatiana de Rosnay. The Rain Watcher follows the Malegarde family who meet in Paris to celebrate the 70th birthday of Paul, the patriarch. The weekend was arranged by his spouse, Lauren, to gather together their adult children, Tilia and Linden. The reunion unfolds as the river Seine is bursting its banks and threatening to flood the City of Light. There is a sense of foreboding throughout due to the constant rain and the dysfunctional relationships of the Malegardes. Paul, an arborist, has a better understanding of trees than of his family. Lauren wants the weekend to be a success for all. Talia, the daughter, has problems of her own at home in London and Linden, the son, left the Malegarde home as a teenager and never really went back. And everyone has secrets of their own. The Rain Watcher reminds us that all families have issues. An entrancing read. Thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  carole888fort | Nov 14, 2018 |
When I read the last page I sat wondering how I felt about this story. I still am not sure but I am positive that I was fully invested in all of the members of the Malegarde Family. The character development is extraordinary.

Set in Paris, a trip that is supposed to be a celebration becomes a nightmare times four. The situational horror of the flooding Seine and its effect on the story heighten the tension and the anxiety that mirrors the emotions of each member of the family.

Linden is so beautifully drawn that you feel his joy, sorrow and love as he explains the formative experiences that have brought him to this point in his life. Tilia, his sister is the staccato note, shrill, broken, brittle, scarred, scared, emotionally tied to her brother. She loves him fiercely. She can spin out of control in a heartbeat. Paul, the patriarch, reticent, comfortable with his trees, removed from his family. Lauren, the matriarch, with secrets that remain hidden from her family.

Interesting that you can love a book for the characters and leave the story behind. Beautifully written - so many tragedies are.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for a copy. ( )
  kimkimkim | Nov 4, 2018 |

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,373,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible