Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality (1905)

by Sigmund Freud

Landmark study examines sexual aberrations, infantile sexuality and the transformations of puberty. A unique work, according to translator A. A. Brill, it is "unlike other works on sex...of interest not only to the student of abnormal manifestations [but also] indispensable to the psychologist, the anthropologist, sociologist, the jurist, and above all the teacher."… (more)
    The Beast in the Nursery: On Curiosity and Other Appetites by Adam Phillips (stevereads)
    stevereads: A contemporary reconsideration of the Freudian project and a great read.

archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
We are not in a position to give so much as a hint as to the causes of these temporal disturbances of the process of development. A prospect opens before us at this point upon a whole phalanx of biological and perhaps, too, of historical problems of which we have not even come within striking distance.

I admire Freud in a similar way to that which I encounter Augustine. Despite glaring mistakes, there is a pellucid grace to the prose. The reasoning in a local sense is wonderful, despite the conclusions being wrong. It always is an instance of application. The layered nature of conclusions is compelling in these Three Essays, the footnotes allude to the editing, insertion and omission which Freud adjusted his thoughts, all the while admitting that he was lost in the weeds and that we were all damaged goods The taxonomy of inversion and perversion is a ticklish curiosity. Such must have been dangerously transgressive at the time. Kinsey eventually told everyone that there isn't a normal and that we should all relax and self-medicate.

I read this as to bolster myself for further exploration and spelunking into Irigaray and Derrida
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Very interesting material. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
A única coisa que presta aqui é a teoria da sexualidade infantil, ironicamento uma das menos aceitas pelos detratores do Freud. O rol de perversões é risívelmente vitoriano e, óbvio, ultrapassadíssimo. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
eu 150
  vecchiopoggi | Mar 19, 2011 |

Freud, Sigmundprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, AngelaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strachey, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,028,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible