Northern Lights

by Nora Roberts

Let #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts fly you into Lunacy, Alaska, and into a colorful, compelling novel about two lonely souls who are searching for love and redemption...As a Baltimore cop, Nate Burke watched his partner die on the street--and the guilt still haunts him. With nowhere else to go, he accepted the job as Chief of Police in a tiny, remote Alaskan town with the hopes of starting over. Despite the name, Lunacy provides a balm for Nate's shattered soul--and an unexpected affair with pilot Meg Galloway warms his nights....But other things in Lunacy are heating up. Nate suspects the killer in an unsolved murder still walks the snowy streets. His investigation will unearth the secrets and suspicions that lurk beneath the placid surface, as well as bring out the big-city survival instincts that made him a cop in the first place. And his discovery will threaten the new life--and the new love--that he has finally found for himself.… (more)

English (28)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (30)
I enjoyed the book, I enjoyed the scenery, the plot, the character. Nora Roberts is a fabulous writer, that always adds great details and is very discriptive. ( )
  kskristine | May 18, 2022 |
real ( )
  Janicemo | Oct 24, 2020 |
This is an oldie but goodie if you are a Nora Robert's old school fan. I haven't read this one in forever, but was glad to see it when I was at Powell's book store. I am happy to say I didn't remember who was the bad guy in this one so I went in legitimately surprised. It's a slow burn romance novel taking place in Alaska. Roberts adds in tons of details about Alaska and the population of Lunacy, Alaska that makes this book really come alive. The only reason why I gave it 4 stars is that the flow of the book was up and down in a few places. Also it took a while for things to get going. Nate wasn't the most interesting character to me, Meg was, I wish that we had spent more time in her head than Nate's honestly.

"Northern Lights" follows former Baltimore police officer Nate Burke to Lunacy, Alaska. Nate is trying to get past watching his former partner die and agrees to become chief of police in Lunacy. Nate slowly starts coming back to life while in Lunacy.

Meg Galloway is a bush pilot who loves her life in Lunacy. She finds herself intrigued by the chief of police since she sees something sad in his eyes that she wants to see disappear. She has a somewhat disastrous relationship with her mother Charlene, but has a great stand in father who has been there for her since her real father left her and her mother when was she was a teen.

Past and present come together though when a dead body is discovered in a cave that leaves Nate to figure out who in Lunacy is a murderer.

I liked Meg more than Nate. Probably because she's honest to a fault. And I liked that she was upfront about wanting sex with Nate and nothing else. Nate started to bug me since Roberts had him doing the alpha male thing (romance novel trope) where he is the big bad man who will protect his woman. Meg shows Nate repeatedly she can take care of herself, but he ignores it. I am glad though that Roberts doesn't have Meg changing herself to suit Nate. I hate that in romance novels.

I do think that Nate and Meg have great romantic chemistry though.

The secondary characters in this one are great too. We have the mayor (Hop), the journalists, Meg's mother, the professor, the cook at the lodge, the brothers who keep getting into trouble, Nate's deputies, etc.

Roberts really did take her time making everyone come alive in this one. I honestly even questioned whether a murder needed to happen in this one. Just reading about the hi-jinks in Lunacy was enough for me.

The writing was good, though be warned this book is very long. It's over 600 pages so it took me a bit more than a day to finish. The flow wasn't consistent throughout and I can't lie and say that every part of the book sang to me. I was slightly bored towards the end until things picked up and the murderer was revealed.

The setting of Lunacy, Alaska fascinated me. Roberts must have done some research into things such as how cars/engines are kept heated. I liked reading about the Northern Lights and how much the town changes when it becomes summer and the sun doesn't quite set for months on end. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Good, but sooooo sloooooow. I think it took me about 6 months to finish. ( )
  Mrs.Soule | Nov 25, 2019 |
Extremely enjoyable romantic suspense story set in Alaska. Hero Nate Burke who is running from his past in Baltimore takes the job of Chief of Police in the remote town of Lunacy, Alaska. Heroine Meg Galloway, who is a bush pilot, is the girl he falls for. The story focuses more on Nate adjusting to life in Alaska and the years-old murder mystery that is uncovered, than it does on the romance, but that worked out just fine for me. The cast of many characters were really memorable with suspects galore for the crime. The setting of Alaska was a character itself, described in such vivid detail. I could feel the freezing cold and see the snow covered mountains. This book was really long but I never found myself bored, it held my interest throughout. ( )
  PaulaLT | Jun 9, 2019 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Geronès i Planagumà, CarmeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Finish, good lady; the bright day is done, And we are for the dark.
William Shakespeare
O dark, dark, dark, amid the blaze of noon, Irrecoverably dark, total eclipse Without all hope of day!
John Milton
To my precious Logan, son of my son.  Life will be your treasure box, filled with the sparkle of laughter, the gleam of adventure, the shine of discovery, the flash of magic.  And through all these jewels streams the steady glow of love.
Information from the Piratical Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Landed on Sun Glacier about noon.
Please do not combine with the abridged audiobook or the movie.
Abridged audiobook ISBNs are: 1596004177, 144182653X, 1593551967, 1596002395

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,142,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible