So Close to Being the Sh*t, Y'all Don't Even Know

by Retta

In her hilarious book of essays,Parks and Recreation star Retta shares the stories that led to her success in Hollywood. InSo Close to Being the Sh*t, Y'all Don't Even Know,Parks and Recreation star Retta takes us on her not-so-meteoric rise from roaches to riches (well, rich enough that she can buy $15,000 designer handbags yet scared enough to know she's always a heartbeat away from ramen with American cheese). Throwing her hard-working Liberian parents for a loop, Retta abandons her plan to attend med school after graduating Duke University to move to Hollywood to star in her own sitcom--like her comedy heroes Lucille Ball and Roseanne. Say what? Word. Turns out Retta might actually be on to something. After winning Comedy Central's stand-up competition, she should be ready for prime time--but a fear of success derails her biggest dream. Whether reminiscing about her days as a contract chemist at GlaxoSmithKline, telling "dirty" jokes to Mormons, feeling like the odd man out onParks, fending off racist trolls on Twitter, flirting with Michael Fassbender, or expertly stalking the cast of "Hamilton,"Retta's unique voice and refreshing honesty will make you laugh, cry, and laugh so hard you'll cry. Her eponymous sitcom might not have happened yet, but by the end ofSo Close to Being the Sh*t, you'll be rooting for Retta to be the next one-named wonder to take over your television. And she just might inspire you to reach for the stars, too.… (more)

Listened to on Audible. Love Retta on Parks and Rec, and I'm a sucker for celeb memoirs so this was a no-brainer for me. She does not filter her language, so if you have a low tolerance for swearing, you've been warned. My favorite story she told: when she showed up at Snow College in Ephraim, Utah to do a standup set...as soon as she said Snow College I burst out laughing...I had all the correct images in my head... ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
Obviously already wanted to be friends with Retta, but this book solidified my love for her. ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
Slight but entertaining. ( )
  siriaeve | Jan 20, 2020 |
I received this Advanced Reader Edition as a @goodreads giveaway and could not wait to read it. I’m rewatching Parks and Rec for the ?th time (I’ve lost count.) so I’m in the Pawnee mindset.
First of all, Retta is a treasure. She’s hilarious, honest, and real. I laughed out loud frequently while I devoured this book in 24 hours. I cracked up at the bit about coffee, treasured the Parks & Rec behind the scenes stuff, and completely identified with the Hamilton obsession (Also insanely jealous!)
A fun read and glimpse into her funny, smart, talented, no-BS life. #TreatYoSelf to this book when it comes out later this month. 5/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
Listening to memoirs or collections of personal essays on audiobook is a rather intimate experience. By the end of spending several hours in the car with Retta, i am left with the false sense of being her new bestie. She swears like a sailor and loves to get her drink on and all I want now is to hang out with her and have some drinks and watch a Kings game and I don't even like hockey. But, she never reveals anything too personal. This is not a baring of the soul. This is not a heart-to-heart. This is the things a new acquaintance shares in the getting-to-know you stage—just enough to start to engender intimacy, but not so much that either of you feels uncomfortable.

And, for fuck's sake people, stop giving the woman candles. ( )
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,442,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible