Gideon the Ninth

by Tamsyn Muir

Series: The Locked Tomb (1)

The Emperor needs necromancers. The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman. Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead nonsense. Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy. Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won't set her free without a service. Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die. Of course, some things are better left dead.… (more)
    The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley (aspirit)
    aspirit: Warrior lesbians in space. Both space operas contain strong horror elements.
    The Unspoken Name by A K Larkwood (stephiewonder)
    stephiewonder: Lesbians! Magic! Space! Weird death cults! It's all there.
    Nevernight by Jay Kristoff (ajwseven)
    The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: They're both fundamentally comfortable mystery stories in exquisitely detailed novel universes. They don't *look* very similar, but they're sneaky like that.

I am really disappointed in this book because after reading so many rave reviews, seeing how awesome the cover and black tinted pages looked, and reading the synopsis I thought for sure this was going to blow me away. It didn't. In my opinion for any scifi or fantasy novel, good worldbuilding is an absolute must have and that was the main thing this novel fell short on. I never at any point had a clear understanding of what the world was like. Are we on Earth or someplace completely fantastical? In the future? What is the current technology level ? We are fighting with swords? Ok we are now fighting with guns? Now we are on a spaceship? Another extremely confusing element is that I had no idea who any of the 20 new characters were, where exactly they were from, what their magic specialty was, etc. I would pick up bits and pieces through context clues as I went along but it would have been so much better to have all these things laid out clearly from the beginning of the book. The main other issue I had was the portrayal of the relationship between main character Gideon and other main character (enemy, frenemy?) Harrowhark but I don't want to get into spoiler territory. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
When I tell you this book is such a fever dream. I loved it so much; everything was amazing. The characters made me want to rip my fucking hair out and the plot had me sitting on the edge of my seat and also had me questioning everything. The twist and turns that happened in this book had me shooked. This book had me writing in it to just keep up with everything that was happening. Also, the fucking ending are you shitting me!?! I need the second book in my hands this second. I can't wait to continue this story and see where it goes. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
Gideon wants off her planet. She's grown up alone, orphaned, with her only peer the sociopathic heir to the planet's necromancy title. The ninth planet in the Nine Houses System is cold and dark, and Gideon is doing anything she can to escape. Then she's tricked into being the brawn on a multi-house deadly necromantic puzzle hunt.

Delightful. I've never seen anything quite like this book -- lots of female main characters, lots of mysteries with good plotting, lots of unreliable narration, lots of (tame) lesbianism, great worldbuilding, and a very dark magical world. Plus the audiobook narrator is fantastic -- easily in my top 3 narrators ever. ( )
  pammab | Jun 5, 2022 |
ok, so, as many many people have said, Gideon the Ninth is great. I can't add more, I'll just say that I agree.

but OH MY GOD Moira Quirk, the reader of the audiobook. Truly I've never heard one better. Every time I thought "ok, surely she will get the next line wrong, it's too delicate" she got it right. Spot on.

I'm going to be listening to the next in the series, because of course I am. I haven't looked yet, but if Moira Quirk isn't the reader I'll be reading this one in paperback.

p.s. I will never again be able to say "teens" without prefacing it, in my head, by "dreadful". ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
Lived up to everything I wanted it to be. Awesome story in a stunningly beautiful package of a book. ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
„Ich bin Gideon“ ist sprachlich überschäumend, grell und laut wie eine romangewordene Fahrt mit der Geisterbahn. Zugegeben, es gibt Passagen, in denen es noch ein wenig ruckt und rumpelt. Aber Tamsyn Muir ist jung, erst 1985 in Neuseeland geboren und „Ich bin Gideon“ ist ihr Romandebüt. Dieses Debüt ist ihr großartig gelungen.

Tamsyn Muirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arnold, TommyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stafford-Hill, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two is for discipline, heedless of trial;
Three for the gleam of a jewel or a smile;
Four for fidelity, facing ahead;
Five for tradition and debts to the dead;
Six for the truth over solace in lies;
Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies;
Eight for salvation no matter the cost;
Nine for the Tomb, and for all that was lost.
for pT
In the myriadic year of our lord—the ten thousandth year of the King Undying, the kindly Prince of Death!—Gideon Nav packed her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and she escaped from the House of the Ninth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,942,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible