Alice Isn't Dead: A Novel (2018)

by Joseph Fink

Fiction. Horror. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:

From the New York Times best-selling coauthor of It Devours! and Welcome to Night Vale comes a fast-paced thriller about a truck driver searching across America for the wife she had long assumed to be dead, performed by the voice of the Alice Isn't Dead podcast, Jasika Nicole, with an exclusive essay written and read by Joseph Fink.

"This isn't a story. It's a road trip."

Keisha Taylor lived a quiet life with her wife, Alice, until the day that Alice disappeared. After months of searching, presuming she was dead, Keisha held a funeral, mourned, and gradually tried to get on with her life. But that was before Keisha started to see her wife, again and again, in the background of news reports from all over America. Alice isn't dead, and she is showing up at every major tragedy and accident in the country.

Following a line of clues, Keisha takes a job as a long-haul truck driver and begins searching for Alice. In pursuit of her missing wife, she will stumble on a forgotten American history of secret deals and buried crimes, an inhuman serial killer who has picked her as his next target, and an otherworldly conflict being waged in the quiet corners of our nation's highway systemâ??uncovering a conspiracy that goes way beyond one missing woman.… (more)

I fell in love with this podcast years ago (it remains one of my favorites) and very much enjoyed rekindling that love through this book. While I’m not sure that the text affected me quite so deeply as the audio did, at its core, it still holds that same magic. Joseph Fink, you’ve done it again! ( )
  Elianaclaire | Jan 3, 2024 |
For a book that came from an entirely different medium this was pretty good. The writing was kind of simplistic, but that's not surprising. I thought that they did a great job considering the original was a podcast. I've had the podcast in my "to listen" bucket for a while and when it popped up as a book, changed course.

"Alice" disguises itself as mild cosmic horror, but it's really a celebration of how far we will go for the people we love. It's also a lot of fun. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Dec 31, 2023 |
Excellent. ( )
  embly | Nov 4, 2023 |
Oh my Goddess. Yes.
Even tho I like the podcast best, this was awesome.

More coherent thoughts to follow sometime later in my life. ( )
  Silenostar | Dec 7, 2022 |
I think if I had listened to the podcast, I would have liked this more. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Oct 1, 2022 |
To Meg, who took this road trip with me. And to Jasika and Jon, who made it possible for me to share it.
Keisha Taylor settled back into the booth and tried to enjoy her turkey club.

Fiction. Horror. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:

"This isn't a story. It's a road trip."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,872,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible