The Nanny Diaries

by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus (Author)

Series: Nanny Series (1)

WANTED: One young woman to take care of four-year-old boy. Must be cheerful, enthusiastic, and selfless--bordering on masochistic. Must relish sixteen-hour shifts with a deliberately nap-deprived preschooler. Must love geting thrown up on, literally and figuratively, by everyone in his family. Must enjoy the delicious anticipation of ridiculously erratic pay. Mostly, must love being treated like fungus found growing out of employer's Hermes bag. Those who take it personally need not apply. Whowouldn'twant this job? Struggling to graduate from NYU and afford her microscopic studio apartment, Nanny takes a position caring for the only son of the wealthy X family. She rapidly learns the insane amount of juggling involved to ensure that a Park Avenue wife, who doesn't work, cook, clean, or raise her own child, has a smooth day. When the X's marriage begins to disintegrate, Nanny ends up involved way beyond the bounds of human decency or good taste. Her tenure with the X family becomes a nearly impossible mission to maintain the mental health of their four-year-old, her own integrity, and, most important, her sense of humor. Over nine tense months, Mrs. X and Nanny perform the age-old dance of decorum and power as they test the limits of modern-day servitude.… (more)
    Minding Ben by Victoria Brown (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Stories about the trials of nannies and the children they care for in the wealthiest corners of Manhattan.
    The Misadventures of Oliver Booth: Life in the Lap of Luxury by David Desmond (infiniteletters)
    Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (jbarry, librarymeg)

English (146)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (153)
I don't think either parents had any redeeming qualities. But maybe that was the point. Either way, I'm now more inspired than ever to make sure I'm a good mother. ( )
  dishchan | Aug 15, 2022 |
The book is much better than the movie. She got all the little details of being a nanny and made the infuriating, funny. Good summer read. ( )
  katefren | Aug 15, 2022 |
Entertaining but forgettable. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
I continue to be mystified and fascinated by the wage slaves of New York. I didn't like the end. I found it repelling, but it was well written. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Borrowed
  beckykb6 | Apr 13, 2022 |
The authors, NYU grads themselves, have filled the novel with humorous events allegedly based on their personal experiences.

"The Nanny Diaries" is a sharply barbed comedy of manners; the denizens of New York's Upper East Side (and, by extension, their brethren in all other tony, overpriced, deadly dull neighborhoods in cities around the world) are its target.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Stephanie Zacharek (Mar 21, 2002)

With this hilarious, vicious satire of upper-class family life in Manhattan, McLaughlin and Kraus, ex-nannies who know of what they speak, position themselves as contempo Edith Whartons.

Although The Nanny Diaries is screamingly funny, it's also painfully sad. A very effective combination.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Dierdre Donahue (Mar 14, 2002)

The heart of the matter remains perfectly pitched social satire, from the children's birthday parties (''We really had to put our heads together to top last year's overnight at Gracie Mansion'') to the kind of house where African, Venetian, Art Deco, Empire and Winnie-the-Pooh styles heedlessly collide.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Mar 4, 2002)

McLaughlin, EmmaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kraus, NicolaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Malfroy, ValérieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (45744)
"You should hear mama on the chapter of governesses: Mary and I have had, I should think, a dozen in our day; half of the detestable, and the rest ridiculous, and all incubi - were they not, mama?"
"My dearest, don't mention governesses; the word makes me nervous. I have suffered a martyrdom from their incompentency and caprice; I thank Heaven I have now done with them!"
- Jane Eyre
To our parents, for always reading at least one bedtime story (with voices) no matter how tuckered they were.
And to all the fabulous kids who have danced, giggled and hiccuped their way into our hearts.
We root for you still.
(Prologue) Every season of my nanny career kicked off with a round of interviews so surreally similar that I'd often wonder if the mothers were slipped a secret manual at the Parents League to guide them through.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,207,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible