The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr

The Great Turkey Walk

by Kathleen Karr

For an amusing and unusual historical adventure you should try The Great Turkey Walk based on the true practice of turkey droving - walking turkeys in flocks across the country to sell. (I had no idea of this happened until we read this book.)
  wunderlong88 | Sep 11, 2018 |
Kathleen Karr writes with creativity and imagination. To think a not-so-smart boy, who redid third grade how many times before he was 17, could take 1000 turkeys to Denver where he could make his fortune.

Having nothing more than his teacher's endorsement, he meets the right kind of people and the wrong kind of people.

The adventures create a family for Simon working together and caring for each other, in spite of Simon's real family who wants only his money.

Always delightful. Worth re-reading. Enjoy hearing my boys laugh through his adventures and how he sees life. ( )
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
Mostly funny. Almost like a Tall Tale. Doesn't read like historical fiction at all, even though it is sneakily very educational. I should write more, but I think you should just read the book. If you need further convincing, note all the other glowing reviews. I never heard of the author before but I will look for more by her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The Great Turkey Walk tells the funny first-person fiction narrative of a boy who's failed third grade for the fourth time, and finds success driving a herd (gaggle, group???) of turkeys across the heartland to Denver. Charming and funny. ( )
  ReadingMentors | Jan 15, 2014 |
Reason for Reading: Read aloud to the 9yo to go along with our history studies.

Summary: Set in 1860, the book starts with 15-year-old Simon Green being politely graduated from school and told to go find his place in the world. Simon is quite taken aback, as he has just finished third grade for the fourth time and he'd figured on being in school quite some time to get the rest of the grades completed. Simple-minded Simon comes upon a plan to walk a flock of a thousand turkeys from his hometown in Missouri, where he can purchase them for two bits a head, all the way to Denver where they say turkeys will go for five dollars a head. The story follows him on his Wild West adventure across the country making friends and escaping dangers along the way.

Comment: This was a fun book to read aloud! Written in Simon's voice: a frontier, uneducated drawl with most of the other character's following suit. While Simon may be simple-minded he isn't as stupid as the folks back home think he is. He's a quick judge of a man's character and he's got a lot of honest to goodness common sense and these prove him well on his business venture. I enjoyed the book, the adventures they got caught up in were a riot and the runaway slave boy they meet up with and take with them as they head north also adds some varying points of view of the time period covered in the book. The author's note at the end explains how she based her story on similar events that really happened.

My son on the other hand was only so-so about the book. He even said at one point that he didn't like it, but whenever we were reading it he was laughing and having a good time. The story just didn't hold with him when we were away from it. I think it would have benefited from illustrations, even just one line drawing per chapter. Ds usually likes these wild west types of stories and it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what he didn't connect with in this one but I'm thinking the age of Simon had something to do with it, even though Simon was mentally younger than his age. So, I'm thinking the most appreciative age for this book is going to be ten and overs. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 29, 2009 |

Yeeeeeee-haw! Git along, little . . . turkeys?

Big, brawny Simon Green, who's just completed third grade (for the fourth time), may not be book smart, but he's nobody's fool. When it's time to be done with school and make his way in the world, Simon hatches a plan that could earn him a bundle. He intends to herd a huge flock of bronze turkeysall the way from his home in eastern Missouri to the boomtown of Denver, where they'll fetch a mighty price. In the year 1860, the hazards of such a trek are many - how does one shepherd the birds across a river, for instance? - but Simon is undaunted. Accompanied by a faithful drover, and eventually to be joined by two boon companions, he undertakes the biggest journey of his young life, in this high-spirited Wild Wild West adventure by an acclaimed author of historical fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:59 -0400)

In 1860, a somewhat simple-minded fifteen-year-old boy attempts to herd one thousand turkeys from Missouri to Denver, Colorado, in hopes of selling them at a profit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,118,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible