Four Fires

by Bryce Courtenay

The four fires in this story are passion, religion, warfare and fire itself. While there are many more fires that drive the human spirit, love being perhaps the brightest flame of all, it is these four that have moulded us most as Australian people. The four fires give us our sense of place and, for better or for worse, shape our national character.… (more)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Different eras, different continents, different family structures. I enjoyed them both and thought of the other while experiencing the second.

I read this as I listened to the audio book. This is the second reading this classic of Australian literature. It is episodes from the Maloney family, who live in the fictitious town of Yankalillee, in north east Victoria as told by one of the kids, Mole. The Maloney family haven't even made it to the bottom rung of the social ladder in town, they are the towns garbage collectors. Starting in the 1950s, after the war, the story continues to the 90s. I laughed out loud at times, and cried with the family. The part where dad, Tommy talks to Mole and opens up about his war experiences in Asia, and then Mole's experiences in Vietnam are heartbreaking. Some people will be put off by the 1048 pages, but this is one of THE BEST books you will ever read!! ( )
  Steven1958 | Sep 30, 2021 |
Another great read by BC. A story of struggle and small town life for a family on the outer limits of acceptability. Each rises above the lowly position allocated to them and maintain strong family cohesion in spite of the obstacles placed in their way. Set from 2nd WW to finish in 1999 skipping a decade or two. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Oct 13, 2020 |
Bryce Courtney has a way of presenting his caracters in a charming and disarming way. The stories are tough not always happy but somehow the bad makes his caracters better. I didn’t give this book 5 stars because I felt it was a bit longj and could have been shortened a bit especially the part about Tommy describing his time as a POW and the japanese. That was a difficult read and could have been less. This is my second book by this author and I am sad to leave his characters that I have liked a lot. ( )
  janismack | Oct 29, 2017 |
I found this book engrossing. Courtenay has woven a mesmerizing tale about an Australian family of Irish decent. It culminates in the father's war experience as finally divuldged to one son. I love his style of writing in this Historical Fiction novel. ( )
  paulhock | Oct 17, 2017 |
Angus and Robertson Top 100 (2006 - 2008) Book #95.
I have read this book many times, and always enjoy it. Bryce Courtney is one of my favourite authors, and Four Fires is the one that I will recommend the most for other people to read. I enjoy every page everytime I read it! ( )
  amme_mr | May 1, 2015 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,659,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible