The Guilty Dead by P. J. Tracy

The Guilty Dead (2018)

by P. J. Tracy

10619179,726 (3.79)26
Gregory Norwood is Minnesota's most beloved philanthropist, and the story of his son's overdose was splashed across the front page of all the papers. When a photojournalist sets out to get a candid shot of the highly successful businessman on the one year anniversary of his son's death, he's shocked to find Norwood dead with a smoking gun in his hand. The city is devastated, and Minneapolis detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth are called in to handle the delicate case. It should be open and shut, but something is not right. Norwood's death is no suicide. With no suspects and an increasing tangle of digital evidence that confounds the Minneapolis Police Department's most seasoned cops, Magozzi calls on Grace MacBride, Monkeewrench Software's founder and chief computer genius and the soon to be mother of their child together. She and her motley crew of partners begin to unravel connections between Norwood's death and an even larger plot. Norwood wasn't the first, won't be the last, and by the end, may be just one of many to die.… (more)
Recently added bySheinsch, gibbs65, SharronA, galli_a, Biblee2, Jim53, CandaceClark, verenka, private library

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy when it comes to books. However, this book just didn't turn out the be as good as I had hoped it to be. I have long wanted to read this series and with the latest published book, THE GUILTY DEAD did I finally take the plunge. I have this as a copy, but I decided to listen to the audioversion instead since then I could take the book with me to work...;)

I did think the book started off good, with murders looking like suicide. However, I had one big problem all through the book. One problem that made it hard for me to truly enjoy the book. The characters. I've listened to books before with a lot of characters to keep track on. And, usually, it's not a big problem. This time, I kept forgetting who was who ALL THE TIME. Yup, now and then I turned to the ecopy of the book I had to search for a name to find out who she/he was. I probably broke my name search record for one book. Now, there will obviously be those that will chide me telling me that it's a risk when you haven't read the previous books in a series. However, I will tell you that I seldom have this problem. Unless the characters are not memorable. Needer the main characters nor those new in this book made an impression on me.

So, how was the story? Well, not bad, but not overly engrossing. I will say this. The book worked fine when it came to listening to at work (when I was not confused about someone identity). The identity of the main culprit was hardly a surprise. Often it felt like I was one step ahead of the characters in the book, although I did enjoy the last part of the book when everything unraveled. I do want to read the first book in the series to see if that will work better for me.

THE GUILTY DEAD was just not my cup of tea. However, fans of this series will probably enjoy this book very much. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
FBI Agent Dahl contacts Harley for a meeting, the FBI cyber unit is unable to cope with tracking terrorists, they need software and asks if Monkeewrench could help. Harley knows that Agent Dahl is aware he is risking his career by asking this, and so tells him they have already been building a software to help law enforcement in this area and the beta test is set to begin. At the beta testing of Monkeewrench’s new software they are alerted to terror chatter that points to a bombing of City Hall They quickly notify Dahl and Shafer and plan to meet to update Special Agent Shafer of the software.

Meanwhile Leo and Gina are called out to the site of a “suicide”, the suicide of Gregory Norwood, Minnesota businessman and philanthropist. When walking through the house and estate, Gino and Leo are thinking this is a crime scene not a suicide. They will wait for the forensics and coroner’s report. Then they will begin their investigation.

Grace is 8 months pregnant and Leo is sleep deprived as their two cases start to come together.

Excellent read, that is fast-paced and with characters that are real to me in a story that made my heart pound. Recommended. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 5, 2019 |
I was so glad that PJ Tracy decided to continue writing the Monkeywrench series. This story was a bit different as it highlighted Detectives Gino Rolseth and Leo Magozzi. Leo and Monkeywrench founder Grace MacBride are going to become parents any day now. Grace and her three computer geek friends are in the process of developing a program to help law enforcement more easily deal with terrorist threats. Leo and Gino are called in to deal the possible suicide of a very wealthy influential businessman. Politicians, Revenge, bombers and grieving families make this a very confusing case for the detectives.

I really enjoyed this novel. It wasn’t quite as action packed, but still contained lots of twists and turns to keep me reading. The best thing is that it wasn’t as graphically violent as earlier books in the series. I’m not a fan of overly violent books. I look forward to more of this series. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Feb 13, 2019 |
This is an entertaining police procedural crime thriller set in the present time. The story begins with several murders which are disguised as accidental drug overdoses and a suicide. The subsequent police investigation moves at a brisk pace through to an exciting and mildly surprising conclusion.
The story is almost entirely plot-driven with little character development. Of course, character development was probably done in the previous eight books in this series. This book can be read as a standalone without difficulty and may encourage a newcomer to the series to read the earlier books.
Recommended.
___________________
Thanks to the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, and Netgalley for providing a copy of the eBook. The comments are my own. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Oct 25, 2018 |
It appears I'm growing tired with this series. I know authors need to cater a little bit to new readers but the relationship between Harley and Roadrunner in this book is ridiculous, like they barely know each other and have to man-splain things to each other just so new readers will understand what's going on. The technology involved is very briefly explained, which is fine with me. The daughter half of this writing duo can still tell a good story with humor but I preferred Grace when she was wary of everyone and I'm not looking forward to a baby entering the Monkeewrench crew. Time for me to move on! ( )
  bookappeal | Oct 18, 2018 |
To PJ, as always. You are in every word I write.
Gus Ruskin sipped from a bottle of water as he surveyed Trey's living room.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,377,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible