So, I found Miriam ridiculously annoying at times, but when I finished the book and collected my thoughts, I realized...she's human. Laura wrote a flawed, annoying, human character and for the world, she's utterly perfect.

And, that ending! I'm so happy it wrapped up like that. Love, love, love this book. This series is easily moving into my top five! ( )
  Lea.Pearl | Sep 17, 2020 |
Wow

War has the same intensity that Pestilence did, maybe even more. Just so much tension and drama and angst going on here. I am still trying to process everything.

I did like that it takes place in the Middle East, it feels so appropriate for so many reasons.

I can't wait for Famine which is literally a sentence that I never thought I'd sqy. ( )
  tetisheri | Aug 15, 2020 |
War is the second book in the mind awakening series “The Four Horsemen” and WHEW…..I wish I could express in this review my full thoughts but I doubt I will be able to express how much I adored this book. Laura Thalassa has done it again folks…..delivered such a brilliant story that stretches your limitations and boundaries in a way you never imagine. Now I thought the first book “Pestilence” was just a fluke, but nope, this author has the talent of addicting her readers to her stories in such an unforgettable way. I have become hooked on this book. Now first off THE COVER is just gorgeous. I love how they matched it to the first one and man I want to take him home with him. He is definitely yummy looking and that hair…..*sigh* in love.

Loss is a wound that never heals. Never never never. It scabs over, and for a time you can almost forget it’s there, but then something–a smell, a sound, a memory–will split that wound right open and you’ll be reminded again that you’re not whole. That you’ll never fully be whole again

Pestilence was staged in North America, but now our author takes us across the world to Israel and more specifically to Jerusalem and this is where we get introduced to our heroine Miriam who is on her own and who lost her family due to other circumstances. Miriam works in medieval weaponry and since the arrival of the Four Horsemen and the technology and instability of firearms, swords and arrows are what you defend yourself with. But now her land and her people are being killed by the next Horseman “War” and his army. But then when she tries to kill him, he comes after her but instead of killing her, he lets her live and calls her “wife” and takes her back to his camp of followers. Even though she wants to fight him, she is confused by his affection for her. But even though they are enemies, she sees a side no one else does, one that is gentle and affectionate. But there is a divide happening and soon War will need to make a choice …..his duty or the woman he loves and his inner battle with what is right and wrong.

Somewhere along the way, my reasons for giving into these human emotions changed. I no longer pursued you beause I was suppose to. I craved your company, your smiles, your fierce anger and clever tongue because it brought me the same joy battle did. And the world bloomed into color. For the first time, I began to truly feel this body and every emotion within it.

War was such a delight and this book swept me up and I stayed up ALL night reading this book, and I have no regrets on that score. This was so brilliant and what a page-turner this book turned out to be. I was unsure, since the first book I had read in audio format, so this was different but just as good in my opinion. But a bit different, we still had that level of angsty and feeling of the enemies to lovers trope, but the vibe between War and Miriam was a bit different from the one between our couple in the first book. I think I liked War even more than Pestilence in many respects to be honest. Now he is a tough one to really get into. Because he has such pride and arrogance but he also believes in strongly in what he is doing. His sense of right and wrong is very black and white. But just like Pestilence, he finds his own path in discovering what is really right and wrong.

I love the horseman.

I love his violent eyes and the way he sees me. I love his strength and his humor and his ridiculous body and that smile. That smile that I wait for. I love War’s growing humanity and his otherness.

I love him

We see much more brutality in this book though, so be warned about that. It’s not easy to see in some of these scenes but there are so many redeeming moments that build in this book. I was really stunned with our heroine. She is a fighter but she also seems to know when to pick her battles. She tries to help humankind when she can but she is walking a fine line and War seems to let her do it in many cases. But these two really battle it out and have to find their own common ground. But the growth that we see in both characters is so thrilling and seeing their relationship deepen with their own character understanding of themselves.

But….that’s changing—War is changing, and the world is changing with him

Overall I found War to be a stunning read that will cross boundaries of love and hate…..a beautiful balance in finding yourself and a mate to stand by you and fight for each other in such a vibrating deep abiding way! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 29, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,499,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible