The Bride Test by Helen Hoang

The Characters:

Kahi Diep:
Esme Tran:

The Story:

I enjoyed Khai and Esme’s story very much. It opened very somberly and it took me a while to make the connection back to The Kiss Quotient but it was fun after that. It’s so good to get to know adult Khai as we only get a glimpse of him in TKQ. You can tell he has a family who loves him very much and his mom is outstanding.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jun 13, 2019 |
This is a sweet, contemporary romance about a young woman from Viet Nam, Esme, who is chosen to be a bride for an American man. The American man, Khai, is autistic, and doesn't like being touched. He also isn't able to show his emotions due to his father abandoning him when Khai was a young child, and his cousin, Andy, dying in a motorcycle crash when they were both teens. Now, Khai meets Esme, and he is taken by her charming ways. However, he can't seem to let his defenses down to admit that he is in love with her.
Esme and Khai do have a wonderful, caring relationship, but Khai can't bring himself to admit it. This hurts Esme and she refuses to be with him. Also, Esme hasn't been completely honest with Khai, lying to him about her education, her job, and not mentioning that she has a daughter in Viet Nam.
Everyone around them is pulling for Khai and Esme, but will Khai's lack of emotion, and Esme's desire to be loved kill their relationship needs and conditions?
I enjoyed this 2nd novel of Helen Hoang's, and I also enjoyed that Stella and Michael from The Kiss Quotient made a brief appearance in the book. I liked how Ms. Hoang highlighted the struggles with emotion and sensory challenges of the autistic man. I also liked how Ms. Hoang portrayed Esme, the immigrant woman who longed for a better life, and was willing to work hard to improve her life. I look forward to the next installment.
The author's note at the end of the novel was very touching.
#TheBrideTest #HelenHoang ( )
  rmarcin | Jun 10, 2019 |
I liked this better than "The Kiss Quotient", but for me it has the same plus/minus aspects. The characters are interesting and likeable. Their attraction to each other, however, is expressed almost entirely in terms of sexual chemistry. I'd like to have seen more about how they come to like each other. ( )
  annbury | Jun 7, 2019 |
Had been somewhat reluctant after reading 'The Kiss Quotient' but wanted to give the author another chance, it was AAPI Heritage Month and it seemed like a good change of pace read. I could identify with the main character Khai who gets irritated over "small" things like stuff not being in the right place but might not really feel much when it comes to "bigger" events. And I was somewhat curious to see how and if author Hoang could make a story like this where Khai is set up with a mail order bride (!) Esme work. There's a lot that could go wrong with a story like this...but I was willing to give it a shot.

Initially I was intrigued. I didn't care for Khai and his story much but I thought Esme was interesting and I was curious to see how this couple would navigate the whole relationship thing, what it would be like for Esme to adjust to life in the US, etc. But overall I found the negative comments correct. The story really isn't that interesting in the end, the two didn't seem to really have a huge emotional connection even by the end, and it was just sort of "eh."

The book seemed skimmable but it also felt like the author could have explored this a lot more. Instead of just a romance and the two getting together, but rather each of their greater stories and the themes (immigration, autism, arranged marriages, adjusting to a new life, customs regarding romance, etc.). It might have worked better as a grand epic rather than a "light" romance but maybe that's just me.

In the end, just wasn't feeling it and am glad I decided to wait for my library to get a copy. Looks like people have mixed feelings (some loved it, some are disappointed after TKQ, etc.) so hard to say how one would like it if you read the previous book. It is worth noting that it's not really necessary to read the previous book to understand this one (although one character that appears in TKQ is present here).

Library borrow.
  acciolibros | Jun 2, 2019 |
This is the quintessential beach read. The plot is over the top, the characters are almost too quirky (if that's possible), and it is overall super cheesy. I clearly devoured this book in one setting. It was cute, regardless of how ridiculous the entire scenario was. I kept rooting for the characters even though it's soo predictable how it will all turn out. Khai's mother is soo worried about her autistic son never getting married that she finds a likable, honest female janitor in Vietnam and convinces er to be a mail order bride for her son. She agrees because she wants to find a better life and maybe a father for her young daughter. Khai agrees to give her a trial run and they soon find themselves in the awkward predicament of living together and getting used to each other quirks. Over the top, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 1, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible