Slow Dollar by Margaret Maron

Slow Dollar (2001)

by Margaret Maron

Synopsis: The carnival is in town and Deborah goes along to see what is happening. At one of the games, Deborah finds the person who is supposed to be running the event dead with nickels stuffed in this mouth. What makes this worse is that he's the son of a long lost niece who actually owns the carnival. In other news, Deborah and Dwight finally find each other.
Review: This was interesting since the setting was in a carnival and the author provided some background for the context. The plot was also interesting in that it didn't telegraph the culprit until the last few pages. ( )
  DrLed | Jan 19, 2017 |
SLOW DOLLAR by Margaret Maron

Fans of Deborah Knott will appreciate this novel that introduces some long lost relatives, visits a carnival and finds murder among the rides and “stores.” You will learn quite a bit about carnivals and the carnies that populate them. Deborah’s relatives are kind, forgiving, mean spirited, long suffering, angry – you name it. They are all here just like in real life.
Maron supplies us with another tightly crafted, engaging mystery. Although the 8th tale in this series, you can read this book without having read any of the others. The family tree is helpful in identifying all of Deborah’s many brothers and their progeny.
A satisfying read. 4 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Jun 12, 2014 |
Dwight has a girlfriend, sorta. And the Carnival's in town, and somehow with it come new Knott family members. I'm pretty sure at this point that the Knott family is solely responsible for the over population of the world.

There's also a murder of one of the carnies and that brings Dwight into the novel. Also, as usual, Deborah gets herself oh so very mixed up in the investigation that looks at both the carnies and the townies for who the killer is.

I have to say that, unfortunately some of the carnival slang went right over my head (I'm still not exactly sure why a bathroom/toilet is a donnicker). It probably would have helped if I had realized that there was a glossary in the back too, oops.

My favorite part of the book was the Dwight subplot. Although I like the character of Deb, Dwight has always been my favorite character in the Knott series, he's both an extremely complicated and yet very simple character. And in this novel not only does he get a doosey of a story line, but it's a bit of a cliffhanger too. Very nice. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 14, 2014 |
I really like the Judge Deborah Knott books but this one was excellent. There is a murder or two to solve, a lot (I mean A LOT) of family lore and even some family mysteries involved. And what would a Judge Knott book be without some romantic intrigue? This book delivers in spades.

I was glad to see more of Kezzie, Deborah's father, in this book, I missed him in the last one.

The story here revolves around one of the Summer (or in the South's case Fall) traveling carnivals that come to town. Murder ensues and Deborah is worried that some of her kin are involved - maybe not with the murder but could they be covering something up for someone?

There is a lot of carnival lore and history that was just fascinating. Ms. Maron didn't pull any punches, there is a lot that is unsavory in the carnival world but she also brings to life people who do this work and the hard life they live with just a few months work to survive for the entire year.

I'm really looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446612979, Mass Market Paperback)

You can almost smell the cotton candy and hear the barkers inviting you to try your skill at a game of chance in this lively new mystery starring Colleton County, North Carolina, Judge Deborah Knott. Knott's stunned to discover that Brazos Hartley, murdered on the midway at the Harvest Festival carnival, was a member of her family; his mother, Tally Ames, is Deborah's first cousin, born of a shotgun marriage and abandoned as a child by her father, Deborah's brother. Naturally, when there's a second carnival murder, Deborah can't help getting involved in the investigation, even if it means uncovering secrets some of her relatives would just as soon keep confidential. The huge Knott clan, with Deborah at its center, gives Maron a wealth of material (the judge herself is one of 12 siblings!), which she makes the most of with wonderfully drawn characters and a beautifully evoked setting. The next best thing to a summer night at a country carnival, Slow Dollar is a standout in a series that just keeps getting better. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0400)

When an inflatable carnival ride is destroyed, the first in a series of strange events surrounding a traveling carnival, judge Deborah Knott wonders about a carny's charm bracelet and her connection to Deborah's own family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,646,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible