The Farm

by Joanne Ramos

Nestled in New York's Hudson Valley is a luxury retreat boasting every amenity: organic meals, private fitness trainers, daily massages--and all of it for free. In fact, you're paid big money to stay here--more than you've ever dreamed of. The catch? For nine months, you cannot leave the grounds; your movements are monitored, and you are cut off from your former life while you dedicate yourself to the task of producing the perfect baby. Jane, an immigrant from the Philippines, is in desperate search of a better future when she commits to being a Host at Golden Oaks, or the Farm as residents call it. But now pregnant, fragile, consumed with worry for her own family, Jane is determined to reconnect with her life outside. Yet she cannot leave the Farm or she will lose the life-changing fee she'll receive on delivery. Heartbreaking, gripping, provocative, The Farm pushes our thinking on motherhood, money, and merit to the extremes, and raises crucial questions about the trade-offs women will make to fortify their futures and the futures of those they love… (more)

Well, this one didn’t pan out as I expected. And I’m not sure how I feel about it. ⁣
So based on the description and hype around this book, I was expecting another dystopian story in the style of the “Handmaid’s Tale”. The more and more I read, the more it came to me that whoever is in charge of publicity for this book and I, have clearly read two different stories. I have a feeling I won’t be the only disappointed reader. ⁣
Not that I didn’t enjoy the story that is really there, though. The author does a great job in depicting life for Filipino immigrants, surrogates, and the stark disparity between the 1 percenters and the poor. There are certain situations that seem purely fictional in their outlandishness, but you as the reader just have a sinking suspicion that they are actually factual. ⁣
This novel could have been a great book. But when compared to others like it, it will remain unforgettable for me. The entire book hints at some underlying evil at “the farm” and yet nothing ever happens on that front. Several main characters that had entire chapters from their point of view are relegated to an aside in the epilogue, or never mentioned again. ⁣
I was also surprised by the epilogue but not in a good way. There is a time jump involved that involves happy endings for some of the main characters, and it came across as too forced for me, and I felt like it either should have been left out completely or written differently. ( )
  brookiexlicious | May 9, 2021 |
This book was an interesting look at class and immigrants in the US more so than a dystopian novel. My only confusion was the geography of this book. You can see the Catskills, yet it's close to the Berkshires, right off of Metro-North, and two hours from the city? I don't think there is anywhere in the Hudson Valley that you can get all of those things! ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
Meh, the writing was just okay and the story was interesting but I didn't really learn anything about the immigrant experience. The poor are taken advantage of and the rich spend money willy-nilly. What else is new? ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
Popsugar 2020 - book with same title as a movie or TV show
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
Popsugar 2020 - book with same title as a movie or TV show
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
For my mother, Elvira Abad Ramos
The emergency room is an assault.
Because in America you only have to know how to make money. Money buys everything else.
"There's no bigger nightmare for a mother than not being able to protect her child..."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,804,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible