Running Blind by Desmond Bagley

Running Blind (1970)

by Desmond Bagley

Series: Slade (1)

It all begins with a simple errand - a package to deliver. But for Alan Stewart, standing on a deserted road in Iceland with a murdered man at his feet, the mission looks far from simple.

Alan Stewart thought he was done with the Department, but the Department wanted him to do one last job: deliver a parcel in Akureyri. So far, so annoying. But not two minutes into his mission, he killed a man. And then he himself nearly got killed, while his contact stood by and did nothing. Was this a frame-up? What's going on in the Department? A nail-biting spy game plays itself out across the Icelandic landscape, with plenty of action, derring-do and perhaps slightly more gore than necessary when describing the effects of a particularly souped-up rifle.

This book features on one of the crime writing associations' top 100 crime and thriller novel lists, and it's all right. I liked that Iceland was the setting, and that the character is Scottish but also speaks Icelandic (this is a niche intersection of interests on my part). Alan's girlfriend, Elin, also gets some resourceful scenes for herself, which is pretty good for a mid-20th-century thriller novel. But all in all it just wasn't quite as fun as a really good Alistair MacLean novel can be. So I don't regret reading this, but I won't read it again. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Sep 5, 2019 |
This book is Bagley's best. I'm surprised at the low ratings. It's a lot of fun with action taking place around geysers, waterfalls, emerging volcanic islands, and peat fires. And the hero's ... love affair is the only expression I can think of to adequately describe it... with the high tech rifle he picks up along the way is just hugely entertaining ... ( )
  terrazoon | Jul 16, 2014 |
old book, left here by Carey's parents May 2008

Not bad. Probably the first book set in Iceland that I've read. ( )
  Dilliott.family | Apr 23, 2014 |
I remember a car chase on the volcanic slopes of Iceland... darkness, cold, suspense thriller. ( )
  leakim | Sep 15, 2011 |

Desmond Bagleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kannosto, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To: Torfi, Gudjon, Helga, Gisli, Herdis, Valtyr, Gudmundur, Teitur, Siggi and all the other Icelanders.

Thanks for lending me your country.
To be encumbered with a corpse is to be in a difficult position, especially when the corpse is without benefit of death certificate.

The tip of the iceberg...

"It'll be simple," they said at the department. "You'll just be a messenger boy."

But to Alan Stewart, on a deserted road in Iceland with a murdered man at his feet, it looks anything but simple.

Someone very ruthless is after the innocent-looking parcel he carries. And Kennikin, a Russion agent with the best of reasons for hating him, has followed him to Iceland...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,827,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible