The Last Romantics: A Novel by Tara Conklin

The Last Romantics: A Novel

by Tara Conklin

181799,133 (5)1

The Last Romantics is a beautiful, poetic story. It opens with an old woman, Fiona Skinner, giving a poetry reading / talk in year 2079. The future seems vaguely apocalyptic but it’s never explored too much. This book is not about the future - it’s about the past.

Through Fiona’s talk and memories, the book moves backward in time to her childhood and young adulthood, tracing her life as well as those of her siblings. The Skinner family is a curious bunch, touched by tragedy but also marked with great love. Their story explores the ideas of who we are as people - and if our identity changes when broken away from our family and loved ones.

This story changes focal point and setting many times throughout its pages but each transition is done extremely smoothly. Not once did I feel thrown out of the story, and I am very sensitive to that.

An advance copy of this book was provided to me, free of charge, by the publisher. All thoughts are my own. ( )
  underthebookpile | Dec 10, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tara Conklin's book The Last Romantics is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,769,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible