Meeting at the Crossroads by Carol Gilligan

Meeting at the Crossroads

by Carol Gilligan

"Should sound a national alert to society that even our most privileged girls still pursue normal femininity at great risk to personal and civic health." THE BOSTON SUNDAY GLOBE Lyn Mike Brown and Carol Gilligan ask "What, on the way to womanhood, does a girl give up?" One hundred girls gave voice to what is rarely spoken and often ignored: that the passage out of girlhood is a journey into silence and disconnection, a troubled crossing when a girl loses a firm sense of self and becomes tentative and unsure. These changes mark the endge of adolescence as a watershed in women's psychological development and the stories the girls tell are by turns heartrending and courageous. Listening to these girls provides us with the means of reaching out to them at this critical time, and of better understanding what we as women and men may have left behind at our own crossroads. A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR… (more)

I mainly was drawn to this book because it was written about girls at my high school. They followed a group of girl that i knew tangentially, so I knew who they were profiling throughout, which made for a voyeuristic intrigue. With that disclaimer I did find many of their observations and interpretations interesting. The development of girls into women can be very perilous in ways that are unique to this sex. I would recommend it for anyone with female children, or who has an interest in female psychology/sociology. ( )
  AmeKole | Jun 28, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,490,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible