Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor) by Mark…

Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor)

by Mark Lawrence

Would have been superb apart from the very strange chronology jumping back and forth between the ending of the previous book and the current timeline '3 years later'. It's not consistent, sometimes having a few chapters in succession and then alternating for a bit. Eventually by about mid book we're all up to speed, and everything else resolves reasonably.

Fun intense and well finished resolving all the questions raised in the previous two books - quite a feat that I wasn't sure was going to be possible. I wasn't totally convinced by some of the explanations and motivations which seemed a bit duex et machina and imposed rather than natural progression, but they were at least plausible. ( )
  reading_fox | Jun 9, 2019 |
Here ends Nona's story. Holy Sister is the third and final installment of The Book of the Ancestor by Mark Lawrence. Yet again a big "Thank You" to the author for including a summary at the beginning of the book! More authors need to do this. The story is told in two separate timelines. The main story happens three years after events in book two, with Nona in holy class and war on the horizon. We are also treated to flashback scenes to help fill in events that happened immediately after book two as our characters were left in a tricky situation. This type of storytelling is either hit or miss for me. This time it was a partial miss. While I genuinely found myself interested in both story lines, the way they were broken up kept ruining the tension of each story and threw off the pacing for me. This continues for about half the book. The second half of the story is all in the present day and at that point I could not put the book down. Literally. I read the second half in one sitting!

"It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size."

All those future glimpses we were given in books one and two play out in a spectacular fashion. If you do not like fast paced action then skip this series. Lawrence writes fantastic action scenes that left me breathless. There are so many great scenes that the action lover in me was in heaven. The body count starts to add up and among all the action there were some truly touching moments.

Fair warning, there is an odd romance plot. You will need to have read the novella Bound prior to this book for it to make sense. I wish it was left out as it wasn't very satisfying.

This was a nice ending to the series. I'm sad that Nona's story is done as I've enjoyed my time with the sisters and novices at Sweet Mercy Convent. I am looking forward to to visiting Abbeth again next year in the upcoming series The Book of the Ice. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Apr 17, 2019 |
Warrior sisters: Explosive violence and bonds of love!

The Ancestor trilogy's final novel "Holy Sister" is just as intricate and pressing as its predecessors.
Lawrence's "Story So Far" chapter succinctly locates us once more in time and place for the continuing saga.
"Abeth is a planet orbiting a dying red sun. It is sheathed in ice and the vast majority of its people live in a fifty-mile-wide ice-walled corridor around the equator" which is shrinking as the ice advances.
"The empire is under siege from the Scithrowl in the east and the Durns in the west. Everywhere, the emperor’s armies are in retreat."
Nona Grey and her band of sister novices, Ara (Arabella), Zole, Ruli, and Jula, who started together at the Convent of Sweet Mercy are being called upon (little do they know it) to put in place Abbess Glass's long term planning. (Despite not being present she has a long reach!) At the center lies the shiphearts, the prophecy around the Ark and the coming of a Chosen One.
Of course all long term plans rest on the situations and decisions the players will make. And those aren't necessarily what is wished for, possibly only hoped for. Combined with the over arcing mega story, are those of the individual's, such as the virulent, hatred driven pursuit of Nona by Lano Tacsis after her vengeance upon his family.
As it unfolds, the storyline switched seamlessly between past and present, bringing us around to the final chapters.
The battle scenes against the Scithrowl hordes led by their battle-queen Adoma were brutal, reminding me a bit of those in Feist's Demon Queen.
Underlying the actions, Lawrence's viewpoints rise to the surface around evil vs good, friendship, redemption and hope.
A satisfying finish to a compelling series!

A Berkley Group ARC via NetGalley ( )
  eyes.2c | Apr 8, 2019 |
For my grandfather, "Bill" William George Cook, who lived most of his first decade under the reign of Queen Victoria and who with great patience helped me make my first treasure box
The roar of a crowd invades you like a living thing, reverberating in your chest, taking its answer from your lips without permission.

"As a young girl, Nona Grey was saved from the noose by the Abbess of Sweet Mercy. But behind the convent's walls she learned not a life of prayer and isolation, but one of the blade and the fist. Now she will serve as the convent's fiercest protector as the emperor moves to destroy the last bastion that stands against him"--… (more)

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible