Dangerous Alliance

by Jennieke Cohen

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue meets Jane Austen in this witty, winking historical romance with a dash of mystery! Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older sister happily wed, the future of her family estate secure, and ample opportunity to while her time away in the fields around her home. But now Vicky must marry--or find herself and her family destitute. Armed only with the wisdom she has gained from her beloved novels by Jane Austen, she enters society's treacherous season. Sadly, Miss Austen has little to say about Vicky's exact circumstances: whether the roguish Mr. Carmichael is indeed a scoundrel, if her former best friend, Tom Sherborne, is out for her dowry or for her heart, or even how to fend off the attentions of the foppish Mr. Silby, he of the unfortunate fashion sensibility. Most unfortunately of all, Vicky's books are silent on the topic of the mysterious accidents cropping up around her...ones that could prevent her from surviving until her wedding day.… (more)

SPOILER ALERT:

it is safe to say I am 100% obsessed with Vicky and Tom.

In this classic enemies to lover’s scenario, these former best friends find their way back to each other (from hate to eventual love) through this well paced, well written historical fiction story. Vicky lives a well-off life, but wishes it were more like a Jane Austen novel, which she loves to read. Her sister suddenly appears at home, seeking separation from her abusive husband, Lord Dain. While her family tries to solve the legal issues involved in Regency Era separations, they instruct Vicky to marry, to save the family estate from falling into the grasp of evil Lord Dain. Her choices lie between the handsome rogue Mr. Carmichael and former childhood best friend Tom Sherborne. I loved watching Vicky and Tom begin to fall in love with each other as the novel progressed. I knew they would end up together but waiting for them to realize it was all the more fun as I continued reading. I liked the mystery element as well. Very much got Pride and Prejudice and Emma vibes the most from this novel, which are my personal favorite Austen novels. The author used quotes from different Austen novels at the start of each chapter, which I really liked as well. I also got a lot of The Viscount Who Loved Me vibes from this book, minus the adult spice of course.

Obviously this is YA so it reads the way a typical YA would, but this doesn't bother me, because I enjoyed every second of this novel. There were multiple perspectives, with Vicky and Tom's as the main perspectives, with Susie thrown in the mix a few times. For fans of Jane Austen, this book will be a wonderful read. I couldn't put it down.

Genre: Historical Fiction ( )
  briana_gagnon | Jun 23, 2021 |

This was disappointing to say the least. Vicky, the Jane Austen enthusiast who one day hopes to find her very own Mr. Darcy was dull along with being too childish for my taste to believe she could follow in Lizzy footsteps from "Pride and Prejudice" to solve all her problems and the barely speaking hero who I've often times forgot was the actual hero, Tom, was forgettable and lacked any depth. Honestly it would've been better just to cut him out of the equation and leave out dear Mr. Carmichael to take the lead, who left me far more intrigued than anything else I have read from this historical romance novel inspired by the English novelist Jane Austen. Furthermore the 'romance' between Vicky and Tom was near non-existent and I could barely fathom how they ended up together since their encounters were bare minimum until the last quarter of the book. There was by far more chemistry between Vicky and Mr. Carmichael that it nearly floored me when he was push aside for the Mr. Darcy wannabe Tom stepped in and win her heart. Ha! Otherwise there's not much to rave about. It was mediocre at best and it failed to meet any expectations. What a shame.
  ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |
If you're a fan of regency novels, Jane Austen, and teenage romance you will eat this book up! Set early in the nineteenth century; this novel follows Vicky, a young well off lady who is disheartened that her life isn't more like a Jane Austen novel. She wants the romance and intrigue; instead she gets herself in laughably dangerous situations and her former childhood friend (now sworn enemy) seems to keep showing up at the right moment to rescue her. She can take care of herself, thank you very much! To make matters more complicated, her older sister is seeking a separation from her husband and in order to protect the family estate from her bully husband, Vicky must get married and do so quickly. Witty, charming, over the top, and so much fun. I hope the author writes more just like this. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 11, 2020 |
The book moves along quickly but there aren't any real suprises. ( )
  madamepince | Dec 17, 2019 |
Lady Victoria Aston has what looks like an ideal life. She has a happily wed older sister and doting parents. However, things are not quite as they seem. When she is rescued from an attack by a childhood friend she hasn't seen since they were young, it appears that trouble is coming her way. And then her older sister arrives home on the run from her abusive husband. The only way to prevent her husband - Lord Dain - from eventually owning her family's estate is for Vicky to marry.

She and her family travel to London to take part in the social events which could lead to her finding a suitable husband. Her father is championing Mr. Carmichael who is untitled but a wealthy man who has had business dealings with him. She likes him but isn't in love and isn't sure that he can be trusted.

Meanwhile, the childhood friend Tom has become Lord Halworth after inheriting the estate of the abusive father who threw him out as a teenager and who has left the estate deeply in debt. Tom has been working in an uncle's posh hotel in Switzerland and wants to begin such a hotel in London if he can find backers. Shame because of his father's behavior has kept him from telling Vicky about his past which has broken their friendship.

But Tom and Vicky keep running into each other in London, often when he is saving her from some sort of accident, and the two are becoming friends again. But Mr. Carmichael is definitely opposed to Tom and feels he's taking advantage of Vicky's former friendship.

While Vicky is a devoted fan of Miss Jane Austen and wishes to live her life like Miss Austen's characters, it seems that her life is becoming a lot more like the more melodramatic and sensational novel of Mrs. Radcliffe.

The story was entertaining and well written. The characters were interesting people and the romance builds nicely. I liked the mystery aspects of the story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 7, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,583,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible