The Risk

by Elle Kennedy

Series: Briar U (2)

Everyone says I'm a bad girl. They're only partly right--I don't let fear rule me, and I certainly don't care what people think. But I draw the line at sleeping with the enemy. As the daughter of Briar's head hockey coach, I'd be vilified if I hooked up with a player from a rival team. And that's who Jake Connelly is. Harvard's star forward is arrogant, annoying, and too attractive for his own good. But fate is cruel--I require his help to secure a much-coveted internship, and the sexy jerk isn't making it easy for me. I need Connelly to be my fake boyfriend. For every fake date...he wants a real one. Which means this bad girl is in big trouble. Nothing good can come from sneaking around with Jake Connelly. My father would kill me, my friends will revolt, and my post-college career is on the line. But while it's getting harder and harder to resist Jake's oozing sex appeal and cocky grin, I refuse to fall for him. That's the one risk I'm not willing to take.… (more)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
YAYYY I LOVED THIS BOOK. Brenna is such a unique badass character and a softie at the same time. And Jake is a hard looking guy on the outside but all touchy like we read. Their tension and banter was AMAZING. I read this in 2 days cause it kept me on edge every time. Seriously one of the best off campus/briar u books yet. The smut was AMAZING. And Hazel was so annoying. I wanted to slap that bitch 51828727282 times. I thought the miscarriage topic was gonna be a little bit more sensitive but it kinda just passed quickly. I loved this book all in all though!! ( )
  Fehime | Oct 24, 2021 |
I have been so excited to read this book since Brenna was introduced in The Chase. I absolutely adored her character and her developing dynamic with Jake sounded so interesting that I have been waiting. And I’m so glad to have received this advance copy from the author. I know it’s just a few days before the release, but it’s a great feeling to review a book by one of your favorite authors early.

Brenna is the same badass, sassy, live wire protagonist we got to know previously. However, this book gives her a better opportunity to shine, and also show her vulnerabilities and insecurities, giving us a more rounded picture of her personality. She loves her hockey, has made some bad decisions in the past but has grown so much from the experience and is a very responsible person with clear aspirations for her career. I admired how sure she was of what she wanted to do in life and how she kept working towards it. On the other hand, Jake comes across as an arrogant cocky hockey god because obviously, he is the top college player in the country. However, he is also very focused on the game and his team, is a great captain and is actually a nice guy. When they are thrown together, sparks fly and I absolutely loved the scorching chemistry. Even though I might have enjoyed the fake dating trope if it was longer, I liked the way their love story played out. The banter is sexy and fun and eventually, the way their backstories are revealed is also handled very sensitively. I was completely invested in their relationship from the beginning and it definitely lived up to my expectations.

The side characters are usually important and well done in Elle Kennedy’s books and it’s nothing different here. We get to see Summer and Fitzy quite a bit and I liked seeing them all mushy mushy. Hunter is still pissed and behaving erratically, which doesn’t end well. I just hope he gets his head together soon. Hollis is hilarious and adorable and I really came to like him a lot in this book. We finally get to see Coach Jensen in close quarters after his lingering presence through so many books and I liked how the author handled the ups and downs in the father-daughter relationship. Jake’s teammate Brooks seems like an intriguing character and it’s possible we might get his story somewhere down the line. There were a couple of new female characters introduced whom I didn’t really like very much and I’m not sure if I want any of their books in the series, but let’s just wait and watch. I also loved the many many references to the boys from Off-Campus, especially Garrett. And the reference to Ryan Wesley brought such a big smile on my face, that I immediately want to read Him again.

I think this book may not live up to everyone’s expectations, especially if you are specifically looking for enemies to lovers, fake dating trope - while these elements are present, they are not prominent and it’s more like a slightly forbidden love story. However, Kennedy’s books always manage to make me smile and that’s exactly what I got here. And I really really hope we get Hunter’s book next. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
i wish this book was longer i just love them so much ( )
  firesbrigan | Sep 13, 2020 |
Mystery solved: this book was on scribd. I started it there one afternoon, it disappeared, I refused to pay.

I was correct for that move, but reading it for free was fine. This is 3 stars for the dialogue between the main characters and their honesty, and the resolution with her dad.

samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I fell in love with brenna and jake at their first scene in the chase so i really really wanted their story.
off campus (the main series) is one of my fave new adult series out there, but the chase disappointed me a lot so i was a bit nervous about this one but damn.. it didn't disappoint!
jake and brenna's chemistry is incredible, they're both amazing characters separately and together so i loved them even when they weren't in the same place and that makes me love a book.
even though the plot was a little bit messy, and i didn't really like how it took ten years for brenna and her father to actually talk?? really only it took was two words to fix their relationship and they waited so long for no reason?? that's dumb
i save this book for them and can't believe i'm saying this, hollis. he annoyed the hell out of me in the chase but i loved him in this book, he and rupi were the cutest side couple.
i hope the play will be about hunter because he's growing on me and he deserves love. ( )
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,318,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible