Lock Every Door: A Novel by Riley Sager

Lock Every Door: A Novel

by Riley Sager

2019 (1) ARC (1) dl (1) fiction (2) history (1) suspense (1) thriller (1) to-read (19) want-to-read-2019 (1)

Recently heartbroken and jobless, Jules lands a great job: apartment sitting at the famous Bartholomew, one of Manhattan’s most high-profile and mysterious buildings that is filled with the rich or famous. Everything seems to be going okay, until Jules hears the rules. No visitors, no nights spent away from the apartment, and no disturbing the other tenants. Jules meets one of the other apartment sitters, Ingrid, who discloses that the Bartholomew isn’t what it seems. The next day, Ingrid has disappeared and Jules begins searching for answers.

Riley Sager doesn’t disappoint! Lock Every Door is a page turner and an atmospheric read that will have you wondering what will happen next. ( )
  Lauranthalas | Jul 16, 2019 |
Jules, recently unemployed and unattached, takes a job apartment sitting in the one of Manhattan's wealthiest and renowned buildings. There are rules to this, no visitors, no speaking to the residents and you must stay in the apartment every night. But for Jules, who has only her best friend Chloe, this is a dream job that pays $1200. Chloe has heard stories about the building. Murders and deaths, but Jules moves in anyway. When Jules meets Ingrid, another apartment sitter, and tells her that she is frightened of the building, Jules laughs it off as paranoia and loneliness. But then, Ingrid disappears... I read this book wondering if this was a supernatural story of some sort, but rest assured, it is not. As Jules researches the history of the building and searches for Ingrid, she doesn't quite know who to trust. She realizes that no one is looking for Ingrid. I didn't expect what the building itself represented or how far people would go to preserve that legacy. ( )
  marykuhl | Jul 13, 2019 |
Lock Every Door indeed. I like the atmospheric presence in this story probably more than anything else. It's a menacing, sordid, living thing. Basically, the atmosphere of The Bartholomew is a character, and it's awesome when books are written this way. This story could have veered off into multiple outcomes, so I definitely couldn't predict the ending. Jules has gotten herself into....something? The rules are crazy. It's too good to be true. But, the money always wins, doesn't it? Truly, this is a great read with thrills and twists and omg moments. I recommend checking this one out. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
. ( )
  JypsyLynn | Jul 10, 2019 |
This book was one of my most anticipated books of the year. I read Final Girls when it was released on Book of the Month and loved it. I read The Last Time I Lied and enjoyed it too. This one I went into completely blindly, which is what I highly recommend.

This thriller had me guessing pretty much the whole time. Some of the aspects of this book I somewhat predicted but it didn’t hinder my enjoyment of the story and my necessity to keep reading just one more chapter, which would turn in to many more chapters.

The pacing was pretty quick, in my opinion. I never felt bored or like I wanted to skim and I found myself flying through it. I don’t read many e-books because I just prefer physical copies but I kept my nose in the screen to finish this one.

I really liked Jules. She is a loyal, brave character who has a tragic past. She is trying to make the best out of a really crappy situation that she found herself in. While trying to put her best foot forward, she stumbles across an offer that is too great to pass up...but is it too good to be true?

The vibe I got from this book was a creepy eerie one. It is drenched in mystery and intrigue. It takes place in a historic, gothic building with a very infamous, mysterious past.

I also liked Chloe and Ingrid. Ingrid I was a little skeptical of in the beginning but she grew on me as the story progressed. What shattered my heart was the story of Jules’s past. It was heartbreaking.

I’m so glad I read this and I’ll definitely be buying myself a finished copy. If you liked his other books or if you enjoy thrillers, do yourself a huge favor and read this one! ( )
  knapier.librarian | Jul 8, 2019 |
Mr. Sager stated that he found inspiration from Rosemary's Baby for this book. This time I actually really did see the inspiration as well as experienced it within the pages of this book. Another similarity that I found reading this book was the short lived television show, 666 Park Avenue.

Right away I was hooked by what was happening with the Bartholomew. Jules as well as the rest of the tenants were very engaging. Because they were well drawn and not a lot of details were given about the tenants; this just added to the mystery.

I could not stop reading. The only times I did was when I made myself so that I could get some sleep. Mr. Sager has another bestseller on his hands with this latest offering. Lock Every Door will have you on the edge of your seat and looking over your shoulder! ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 3, 2019 |

"A young woman whose new job apartment sitting in one of New York's oldest and most glamorous buildings may cost more than it pays. No visitors. No nights spent away from the apartment. No disturbing the other residents, all of whom are rich or famous or both. These are the only rules for Jules Larsen's new job as an apartment sitter at the Bartholomew, one of Manhattan's most high-profile and mysterious buildings. Recently heartbroken and just plain broke, Jules is taken in by the splendor of her surroundings and accepts the terms, ready to leave her past life behind. As she gets to know the residents and staff of the Bartholomew, Jules finds herself drawn to fellow apartment sitter Ingrid, who comfortingly reminds her of the sister she lost eight years ago. When Ingrid confides that the Bartholomew is not what it seems and the dark history hidden beneath its gleaming facade is starting to frighten her, Jules brushes it off as a harmless ghost story--until the next day, when Ingrid disappears. Searching for the truth about Ingrid's disappearance, Jules digs deeper into the Bartholomew's sordid past and into the secrets kept within its walls. What she discovers pits Jules against the clock as she races to unmask a killer, expose the building's hidden past, and escape the Bartholomew before her temporary status becomes permanent"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,334,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible