They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? by Patrick F.…

They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (1981)

by Patrick F. McManus

As with a lot of collections of essays, this one is a bit irregular. Some of the selections had me laughing out loud and others, meh. But overall, this is a fun collection. The parts about his childhood were the best in my opinion. ( )
  glade1 | Aug 24, 2017 |
Having read many of McManus' books, I knew what to expect. Good tongue-in-cheek fun. He did not disappoint, although I find my delight in the hunting and fishing essays has diminished some. If I take them in small doses they are still pleasant. Many of the stories I can relate to, having grown up in a very rural part of America. My husband asked me if I ever knew anyone like Rancid Crabtree? Heavens, yes. Several. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 26, 2016 |
Professor McMaus does it again. 25 short stories that will have you rolling on the floor laughing. Don't believe me, then read "Skunk Dog" and tell me with a straight face that it didn't crack you up. McManus is funny! ( )
  Hawken04 | Feb 28, 2013 |
histerical! ( )
  aumbre | Jul 24, 2011 |
This is a humorous book about a young boy growing up in Idaho. Pat McManus describes his, somewhat embellished, childhood. This book is a classic example of humor. ( )
  torrey23 | Aug 27, 2010 |

McManus celebrates the hidden pleasures, unappreciated lore, and opportunities for disaster to be found in such outdoor recreations as camping, hunting, and fishing

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:50 -0400)

With tongue pressed firmly in cheek and a gentle but penetrating eye for human foibles, Patrick F. McManus celebrates the hidden pleasures, unappreciated lore, and opportunities for disaster to be found in the recreations of camping, hunting, and fishing in his hilarious collectionThey Shoot Canoes, Don't They? Gathered here for the reader's edification are such treasures as the true but little known story of the discovery of the efficacy of live bait by Genghis Khan's chef, an examination of the precarious and perhaps fanatical expertise required for ice fishing, and a consideration of the circumstances that can cause a deer to ride a bicycle. Among additional topics explored are The Crouch Hop and Other Useful Outdoor Steps, The Sensuous Angler, and Psychic Powers for Outdoorsmen. Included, too, is The Hunter's Dictionary, an invaluable lexicon that helps the novice sportsman understand such arcane terminology as "Ooooooeee-ah-ah-ah! (If there's one thing I hate, it's putting on cold, wet pants in the morning)" and "Baff mast pime ig bead feas mid miff pife! (That's the last time I try to eat peas in the dark with myhunting knife!)" The author's appreciation of outdoor life began in his early boyhood, when he absorbed a wealth of improbable information imparted by the old woodsman Rancid Crabtree, "who bathed only on leap years." Young McManus also enjoyed special adventures with his ill-remembered sidekick, Retch Sweeney, and another boon companion of days gone by, the loquacious family dog, Strange, whose exploits as a hunter were limited to assaulting stray chickens and on one memorable occasion a skunk. "McManus here follows upA Fine and Pleasant Misery with a collection of sketches that launches him into the front ranks of outdoor humorists."--Library Journal… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,335,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible