The Little Teashop on Main by Jodi Thomas

The Little Teashop on Main

by Jodi Thomas

"A rainy-day ritual--a tea party between three little girls--becomes the framework of not only their friendship, but their lives as they grow into women"--

It's most definitely a character driven novel, so there's truly no way to discuss it other than through its characters. We've Emily...slight, shy, and troubled, but when given the chance to truly bloom with the rays of love on her side, she comes into her own magnificently. Then there's Zoe...a live by the seat of her pants dancing through life sort of gal who had her heart set on stardom. She could have done anything she set her mind to, I've no doubt...but sometimes we're called for something, follow something even we don't understand, and I think that's why I loved her character. Last of our trio would be Shannon...strong willed, straight forward, no time for dalliances that don't fit into the organized schedule of life as she saw it, Shannon. Don't get me wrong, her ways were severely influenced by her father (a man of the military through and through, but with a heart of gold, and a fierce love for his daughter, her friends, and his chosen family), but at some point, we can't extend the finger of blame to past guidance; we have to take ownership for the decisions we make, the life we choose, the hearts we however unintentionally break.

Yes, it's a cast of leading ladies that we get to follow from princess dresses through graduation/wedding gowns...but they aren't the only ones that make the story. There's Mack (Shannon's father) that we previously mentioned...Alex (Zoe's mom) with a penchant for baking, but a past that would bring you to tears...Fuller who's connection to one of the ladies was unusual to say the least, but his devotion to her, astounding...and Jack, who we honestly can't say enough about. What can I say? He loved them all in their/his own way, and his eventual ever-after was most deserved.

All in all, a rather moving novel reminding us of the importance of friendship, forgiveness, and knowing when to let go. Recommended for Women's Fiction and Contemporary Fiction fans.

*ARC received for review; opinions are my own ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
The Little Teashop on Main by Jodi Thomas
Source: NetGalley and HQN Books
Rating: 5/5 stars

From the moment they met just weeks before entering kindergarten, Zoe, Shannon, and Emily were bound together through a love of tea parties, tiaras, tutus, and a friendship that will never be broken no matter the circumstances.

Through the years, the friendship between the three girls grows stronger as they share all the ups and downs of life as teenagers and then as young women. Living in a small town has kept the girls close together until just after graduation from high school. Though the girls know they must go their separate ways, they also know the distance and life choices won’t alter their friendship. For Zoe, she is finally able to spread her wings and fly; her flight takes her straight on the New York City where she plans to become a famous actress. For Shannon, the path to the Air Force Academy has always been clear and her strength and enthusiasm are exactly what she’ll need to succeed. Though Zoe and Shannon are excited about their respective future, they are both terribly worried about the third member of their trio, Emily.

Emily has always been the quietest, shiest member of the group but in the years leading up to graduation, she has also been exhibiting troubling behaviors following an accident that nearly claimed her life. Where once Emily was simply shy and quiet, now she is withdrawn, unfocused, and seemingly depressed. To make matters far worse, Emily’s mother is wildly overprotective and when every element combines it is a recipe for disaster that will bring Zoe and Shannon running home to help their beloved friend. What Zoe and Shannon find when they return home chills them to the bone and leaves them wondering if they ever should have left Emily behind.

Though Emily is certainly in bad shape, she has no interest in losing her life nor disrupting the budding future of her friends. With assurances and a plan in place, Emily convinces her friends to return to their lives with the knowledge that she has indeed turned a corner. As the weeks, months, and even years go by all three girls continue to live their lives and pursue their dreams. Though Zoe never makes a huge breakthrough, she is successful enough in her acting pursuits to live comfortably in New York, Shannon not only graduates from the air Force Academy but does with honors and moves on to her ideal job. Back home, Emily not only turns a corner but finds love and her place in the world and that most certainly brings her friends great comfort.

The Bottom Line: I think this book had me hooked from the very beginning as its very hard to resist three little girls in tiaras having a tea party 😊 The friendship forged between Zoe, Shannon, and Emily is one that transcends time and place and that sense of connection is carried throughout the entire read. When one of the girls is hurting, troubled, or celebrating a life achievement, they turn to one another for love, comfort, support, and, of course, a tea party. One of the things I very much appreciated about this book is the emphasis on real life; that is, the situations, both good and bad, are believable and realistic and reacted to in ways I found to be so very human. An additional like includes the evolution of the characters: from start to finish one gets to watch as three young girls become fine young women and then adults, women with their own lives, loves, trials, tribulations, and triumphs. Above all else, I found this emotionally challenging read to be beautifully written and completely satisfying. It is an engrossing read I completed in a single sitting and would heartily recommend to readers of this particular genre.

P.S. If you have read Jodi Thomas’s Mornings on Main, you will be pleasantly surprised to find a few familiar names in this book 😊 ( )
  arthistorychick | Jun 8, 2019 |
As a longtime fan of Jodi Thomas, it gives me much pleasure as a reader to say that her storytelling gets better and better with each book. With "The Little Teashop on Main", she takes readers back to small town Laurel Springs, Texas, and we get to meet three little girls as they grow into women who never forget to partake of their ritual "Forever Tea". Hopes and dreams are shared as "tea" is poured, and lasting friendships as strong as sisterhood are formed. Zoe, blonde and buoyant, has stars in her eyes and wishes for an acting career in New York City. The shy, inwardly struggling Emily knows the words of a writer at heart. Loyal, athletic Shannon follows in her father's footsteps and enters military college. Though the years will take them in different, often unexpected directions, the memories of childhood days and sweet teas will carry them through and fortify them when unthinkable Fate comes to call. "The Little Teashop on Main" is beautifully-realized women's fiction from master storyteller Jodi Thomas.

Book Copy Gratis HQN ( )
  gincam | May 7, 2019 |
The Little Teashop on Main by Jodie Thomas

Five year old Zoe, Emily and Shannon begin this book with a tea party and tea parties remain integral to this book throughout coming full circle at the end of the book. The three girls become friends for life. They get together periodically and support one another throughout the book. Zoe is the vivacious woman with a dream that takes her to New York. Shannon has her eye on the Air Force and heads to college to pursue that dream. Emily seems a bit lost at times but when she finds herself and her purpose in live she embraces it wholeheartedly. There is friendship, romance, growth, love, laughter, caring, happiness, family and more in this book filled with characters I felt I came to know well enough to call my friends. I wanted to smack a few of them a couple of times but was thoroughly satisfied at the end of this story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Books for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | May 7, 2019 |
The Little Teashop On Main
By
Jody Thomas

What it's all about...

Three little girls at a tea party...Zoe, Shannon, and Emily. Each of them unique in her own way. Each of them has a unique family situation. But they stay together and have tea parties through out their lives.

I didn’t realize when I started this book that it was the second in a series. I felt a bit disconnected from the book and this book wasn’t a smooth reading experience for me. Honestly? It was choppy. It bounced from character to character and I felt as though I was missing something important as I read it. The characters were dysfunctional and did things that weren’t normal. Emily...walking along country roads at night...Shannon...her weird relationship with Jack...Zoe...her obsession with acting. I guess this book never lived up to what I thought it would be. I don’t even know if reading the first book would have helped me with this one. I read the summary and it seemed to have totally different characters than the ones who were mentioned in this book.

All in all...parts of this book were interesting but I never felt fully committed to this book.

I received an advance reader’s copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley and Amazon. It was my choice to read it and review it. ( )
  PattyLouise | Nov 22, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,783,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible