The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery #13)…

The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery #13) (2019)

by Kate Carlisle

Newlyweds Brooklyn and Derek are enjoying the final days of their honeymoon in Paris. As they're browsing the book stalls along the Seine, Brooklyn finds the perfect gift for Derek, a first edition James Bond novel, The Spy Who Loved Me. When they bump into Ned, an old friend from Derek's spy days, Brooklyn shows him her latest treasure. Once they're back home in San Francisco, they visit a spy shop Ned mentioned. The owner begs them to let him display the book Brooklyn found in Paris as part of the shop's first anniversary celebration. Before they agree, Derek makes sure the security is up to snuff--turns out, the unassuming book is worth a great deal more than sentimental value. Soon after, Derek is dismayed when he receives a mysterious letter from Paris announcing Ned's death. Then late one night, someone is killed inside the spy shop. Are the murders connected to Brooklyn's rare, pricey book? Is there something even more sinister afoot? Brooklyn and the spy who loves her will have to delve into the darkest parts of Derek's past to unmask an enemy who's been waiting for the chance to destroy everything they hold dear.… (more)

I loved the first in the series when I read it several years ago and the newest installment didn't disappoint. Brooklyn is back with her delicious new husband, Derek, as they track a series of killings tied in to a spy shop, SPECTRE, and Derek's former colleagues.

The addition of the espionage story line was fantastic. It really upped the suspense and action aspects of the book. Some parts were slightly unbelievable, but it's a cozy mystery so it could slide. The mystery kept me guessing almost to the end. I had mys suspicions, but couldn't see how they tied together, so I was excited to see the how the mystery resolved.

Overall, it's a great cozy read and an action packed mystery that's truly enjoyable. I received an advanced copy through Penguin First to Read in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Brooklyn Wainwright Stone is a newlywed. She is happily married to Derek and, as the story begins, they are returning about to return home from their honeymoon. They are shopping and Brooklyn is searching for the perfect gift for Derek. It is while shopping that they bump into Ned, an old spy friend of Derek's. This is appropos because the book that Brooklyn found is a first edition of one of Derek's favorite spy novels.

They decided to visit a spy shop that was recommended by Ned. The owner is eager and quite impressed with the find of the first edition that Brooklyn found for Derek and begs them to let him display the book in his shop. In all actuality, the book is worth quite a lot, and thus Brooklyn is reticent to allow it to be displayed.

Meanwhile, Derek receives a strange letter from Paris that announced that Ned is dead. How shocking and terrible. Then, another man is killed inside of Ned's spy shop. Brooklyn cannot help but wonder if the murders are connected and if that very same book that Ned wanted to display has anything to do with things.

Brooklyn was quite impressive and is uniquely gifted at restoring books. I found this part of the story to be so very interesting. Not only is Brooklyn exceptionally knowledgeable about books, but she also a knack for sleuthing. As this is the first read in this series, I hadn't had the opportunity to see Brooklyn grow as an amateur detective.

I must say that I was so impressed with this book by Kate Carlisle that I went to my online libraries and discovered that each title in this series is actually available. Not only did I make a list of the books in order to read, but will be doing so with another of her series. Indeed, she is an excellent author and I am eager to continue reading her books.

Many thanks to Berkley and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Kate does it again! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Jul 21, 2019 |
Thirteenth in the series, it contains less of what I've always found irritating (overplayed moments of swooning on the part of women when in the presence of testosterone-drenched heroes needed to rescue them). The plot is subtle and understated, and I can't say I fully understand the motivations of the bad actors. For a change we have a mystery involving Derek more than Brooklyn or any of her friends and family, although it cuts against type to learn that Derek's background checks for his employees is pretty weak. Maybe next time Inspector Lee will take center stage.

The most interesting part of the story was the use of escape rooms. Although not rising to the level of a gimmick--the escape rooms play no real role in the mystery, but are only a background element--the description of the puzzles are just enough to remind anyone who has done some escapes the high pressure stakes of trying to beat the clock. ( )
  dono421846 | Jun 26, 2019 |
As one of Kate’s Raters, I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The name is Bond, James Bond. It’s everything spy in this thirteenth installment of Carlisle’s Bibliophile Mystery series.

After enjoying an extended dream honeymoon in Paris, Brooklyn and Derek are happy to be back home and back to reality in San Francisco. Being a master bookbinder and rare book expert, books are Brooklyn Wainwright’s life and never far from her thoughts. So, of course, she never misses an opportunity to explore bookstores and search for treasures. And, she finds one : a first edition copy of The Spy Who Loved Me. Not only is it a perfect gift for Derek, but she got it for a song.

Tall, dark, and dreamy British security expert Derek Stone is preoccupied with disharmony among the staff of his company and trying to brainstorm resolutions.

Spectre is an all-in-one spy shop. In addition to stocking cool spy gadgets, it has a themed bookstore, cafe, and...escape rooms. Mentioned by Ned, a colleague of Derek’s they met in Paris, they decide to pay a visit. They meet Owen, the owner, and he introduces them to “The Jackals,” a 4-member writing group that frequents Spectre. Owen gets very excited when he hears about Brooklyn’s book find and begs to borrow it for the store’s up-coming anniversary celebration. Wary at first, she relents when assured that it will be displayed in a locked case, wired for security.

The visit to Spectre turns out to be a double-edged sword. While Derek comes up with a possible solution to his employee issues, Owen gets the perfect showpiece for his event, and Brooklyn meets a great group of people : Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, and...Drummer Girl AKA, “The Jackals,” as always, there is a murder. And, as always, it’s connected to a book.

Entertaining, fun characters(some returning, some new), compelling storyline, scrumptious food, and humor —this book had it all. ( )
  kulmona | Jun 11, 2019 |
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude to Jenn McKinlay and Paige Shelton, both brilliant writers and great friends. I pinch myself daily because I can't believe how luck I am to have you as my co-conspirators and plot partners. Thanks so much for this one, and for many many more.
It was our last day in Paris.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,394,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible