Limited Wish by Mark Lawrence

Limited Wish

by Mark Lawrence

One choice. Two possible timelines. And a world hanging in the balance. It's the summer of 1986 and reluctant prodigy Nick Hayes is a student at Cambridge University, working with world-renowned mathematician Professor Halligan. He just wants to be a regular student, but regular isn't really an option for a boy-genius cancer survivor who's already dabbled in time travel. When he crosses paths with a mysterious yet curiously familiar girl, Nick discovers that creases have appeared in the fabric of time, and that he is at the centre of the disruption. Only Nick can resolve this time paradox before the damage becomes catastrophic for both him and the future of the world. Time is running out--literally. Wrapped up with him in this potentially apocalyptic scenario are his ex-girlfriend, Mia, and fellow student Helen. Facing the world-ending chaos of a split in time, Nick must act fast and make the choice of a lifetime--or lifetimes. Game on.… (more)

Six months have passed and Nick has a lot on his plate. He's turned 16, is now a student at Cambridge working with a world-renowned mathematician, continues recover from leukemia and, worst of all, his first and only girlfriend is now dating someone else. At least there is still the weekly D&D game night with his friends. Nick is barely settling into his new routine when he literally bumps into a strange woman who sets of series time fractures, with Nick at the center of their disruption.

Limited Wish is the second in the Impossible Times trilogy by Mark Lawrence. This is one crazy, timey-wimey story! And one that I'm finding hard to review without giving things away. Let's just say that Lawrence took the concepts from book one and ran with them so if you enjoyed the first story, you should like this one too. I'm definitely getting a Back to the Future vibe this time around, which isn't a bad thing. Just be prepared for some mind bending loops. And I definitely don't have the level of math required to understand it all!

My favorite part this time is the D&D story thread and how it ends up tying in to the main plot of the book. Very clever and a great way to provide insight into another side of Nick. The one thing I was missing is the super close camaraderie of Nick and his friends. Those relationships have changed since the first book and I found myself missing those interactions.

Now to wait for November and see how the various timelines resolve. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 14, 2019 |
The nostalgic fun continues in LIMITED WISH, the second book in the Impossible Times series by Mark Lawrence. The main character, Nick, has a lot on his plate: recovering from his recent bout with leukemia, falling for a girl but her dating someone else, and finding out that he is a time traveler in the future because his future self has visited him. Now Nick discovers there are multiple timelines and his head is spinning over which timeline is the right one. On top of it all, he has started research work at Cambridge and that quickly becomes complicated. Girls, physical recovery, time travel, friends, potential universe-shattering paradoxes. Nick has to balance it all and decide what are the right choices for him.
I really like how Lawrence has built the world that Nick lives in. Being in the 1980's brings back pleasant memories and having Nick still yearn to be a kid at heart by placing his weekly D&D game at the same level of importance to him as everything else. Nick is such a relatable and likeable character, through his struggles and successes, his awkwardness and bravery, and his sheer curiosity, the reader sees a teenager that we all once were. And all of the supporting characters are well developed and fun too. The action pleasantly builds to the climax of the book and there are some good twists along the way. Excited up until the end, the book also leaves a cliffhanger big enough that the reader is yearning to get their hands on the next book.
LIMITED WISH is not overly complex or epic in style, but it is loaded with exhilarating actions, endearing moments, and entertaining banter. I'm looking forward to the next Impossible Times book.
Thank you to 47North/Amazon Publishing UK, Mark Lawrence, and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  EHoward29 | May 15, 2019 |
June 1986

I never expected to die in a punt chase.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,788,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible