Limited Wish

by Mark Lawrence

Series: Impossible Times (2)

One choice. Two possible timelines. And a world hanging in the balance. It's the summer of 1986 and reluctant prodigy Nick Hayes is a student at Cambridge University, working with world-renowned mathematician Professor Halligan. He just wants to be a regular student, but regular isn't really an option for a boy-genius cancer survivor who's already dabbled in time travel. When he crosses paths with a mysterious yet curiously familiar girl, Nick discovers that creases have appeared in the fabric of time, and that he is at the centre of the disruption. Only Nick can resolve this time paradox before the damage becomes catastrophic for both him and the future of the world. Time is running out--literally. Wrapped up with him in this potentially apocalyptic scenario are his ex-girlfriend, Mia, and fellow student Helen. Facing the world-ending chaos of a split in time, Nick must act fast and make the choice of a lifetime--or lifetimes. Game on.… (more)

Another Mark Lawrence book finished and I'm sad because I don't have that many more to read before I'll have to wait for his latest book. But I'm also happy because this was a fabulous sequel to One Word Kill.
Nick and his friends are back, bending time, playing D&D, and working out relationships, friendships, and family. Nick has moved on to attending Cambridge at age sixteen, working out the mathematical formulas he'll need for future time travel.
I admit that I don't always understand the physics and math used to explain the time travel aspects of the story, but I've found that if I just substitute the words magic for math and sorcery for physics, I feel I get the concepts pretty well.
"...there are fabulous beasts that swim in the seas of mathematics. Multidimensional behemoths of incredible beauty that even the best of minds struggle to glimpse. The equations we battle with, the proofs that we use to nibble at the edges of such wonders: these are the shadows cast by those we hunt."
I love the plotting and how the story parallels the D&D game. My son and I have discussed the rules for 2nd edition (I think that's what Nick and his friends use) and the differences with today's
rules. He's been intrigued by how well Mr.Lawrence integrates those into the story.
It's another wonderful read, and now, onto Dispel Illusion. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jun 15, 2021 |
Well that was magnificently good fun.
Hooray. Can’t wait for the next one. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
"We’re all infinities."

I can’t adequately express how enjoyable this trilogy has been so far. I lay in bed and finished this second book around 1am last night. I was up thinking about not just the implications of Nick’s predicament, but my own reality and past choices and how they brought me to the here and now. I’ve mentioned before how Mr. Nobody is one of my favorite films; Limited Wish dove deeper into multiverse theory—so much so just thinking about it makes my mind go all soupy. And I love it.

Lawrence took where I thought this series was going and steered it into much deeper, more obscure science fiction territory. And man, I’m really enjoying the ride!

Where book 1 gave us an irresistible group of D&D nerds and teenage angst, book 2 layered on time-space anomalies and instances of complex paradox and somehow found a way to kick up the angst tenfold. All the while running the main story line parallel to the D&D story, like in the first book.

I have this unsettling feeling that I’m in for an unexpected treat in the final book, and I’m a bit scared to see what that may be. ( )
  sandra_gibbons | Jan 21, 2021 |
Limited Wish picks up just after One Word Kill ended. Nick’s at Cambridge now, and there are finally more girls around! But besides that, there’s not a lot to say about Limited Wish that I haven’t already said about One Word Kill. Again, Nick really wants to play some D&D and do some math but time travelers, sworn enemies and cancer keep throwing him off. Again, his friendships with John and Simon are the warm heart of the story, and there’s another teamwork heist.

This time, he’s got Demos, a future self from a timeline when he marries Mia, as well as Eva, his future daughter from a timeline when he marries Helen. He’s coming up on the May Ball when he goes home with one of the two girls, and he knows he needs to make the right choice, but he just doesn’t know who he, uh, will have married. Time travel makes strange grammar. There may be two alternate worlds or a rip in time or just a big ball of wibbly-wobbly disaster, and the universe is desperately trying to right itself by offing Nick. Even regular parts of the regular world can be pretty strange when Nick’s around....

I might like this one even more than One Word Kill. Did I mention there are more girls this time? In college, I did my study abroad reading classics at Cambridge, a wonderful time and an extreme contrast with my other semesters at a state college, and I always love novels set in Cambridge. (Note: I did not marry either of the boys I went to end-of-term parties with.)

I’m looking forward to the final book after reading Limited Wish. ( )
  TheFictionAddiction | Aug 12, 2020 |
A perfectly awesome time-travel tale served up on a platter of fun D&D mirroring, future-knowledge angst, time-ghosts, paradox, and mathematical hijinx that does more than skirt the edges of a heist novel.

Again.

But don't worry! While this may have a lot of the same elements of the first book in broad strokes, the story ramps up with some rather awesome snags that aren't just romantic. And even the other kinds of encounter-mirroring is fully explained in the recesses of the paradox. :) Very cool stuff, well thought-out, delightfully fast read.

And it is fully taking advantage of our recent loves of Stranger Things (80's geekdom!) and quick-paced thrillers. Only, this is a math-genius cancer-sufferer going to college a bit early and falling face-first into a ton of critical-failure rolls. :)

Well worth it. I'm absolutely loving the hell out of these. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

June 1986

I never expected to die in a punt chase.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,293,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible