Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me (2019)

by Mariko Tamaki

Laura Dean, the most popular girl in high school, was Frederica Riley's dream girl: charming, confident, and SO cute. There's just one problem: Laura Dean is maybe not the greatest girlfriend.Reeling from her latest break up, Freddy's best friend, Doodle, introduces her to the Seek-Her, a mysterious medium who leaves Freddy some cryptic parting words: Break up with her. But Laura Dean keeps coming back, and as their relationship spirals further out of her control, Freddy has to wonder if it's really Laura Dean that's the problem. Maybe it's Freddy, who is rapidly losing her friends, including Doodle, who needs her now more than ever. Fortunately for Freddy, there are new friends and the insight of advice columnists like Anna Vice to help her through being a teenager in love.… (more)

This was a curious read. The most dynamic characters are the those we see the least--Buddy, Eric, Vi... It was also nice to see a story set in a relative "gaytopia" that centered more around lesbian characters than gay characters, which is something we need more of in YA. And I think the premise was interesting in following a protagonist willing to be a doormat, but I just did not understand why Laura was so great beyond physical attraction or even why I should care about Freddy's plight, seeing as her character needed way more development as well. This bummed me out. It seems that there could have been way more done here. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
God. I hate Laura Dean. The author and illustrator brought to life the Laura Dean character that many of us may have encountered in our lives. Selfish, narcissistic, manipulative, demanding, emotionally abusive.

Man. This brought me back to my younger self of the days of having to break those relationships, both romantic and platonic, to find my own happiness and strength without that toxicity.

This story captured the tumultuous experience of youth and young adulthood perfectly, entering the phase of understanding who we are, our own self-worth, and what type of relationships we want to be in that value us as equal partners.

The artwork was beautiful and the story empowering, especially seeing the representation in the queer community.

I felt a connection to Freddy and rooted for her throughout. A perfect standalone that allows the reader to imagine for themselves the future of all the characters. ( )
  holdenkillfield | Jun 16, 2021 |
A YA graphic novel about a toxic romantic relationship between two teenagers, and how one of them gradually realizes that toxicity and how it's also making her a bad friend in other areas of her life. A good, realistic portrayal of teen relationships, and the illustrations are excellent. ( )
  electrascaife | May 31, 2021 |
"Your love should be a thing that brings something to you. It's true that giving can be a part of live. But contrary to popular belief, love should never take from you." p. 267 ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Enjoyable graphic novel. The art is beautiful and Frankie is a likeable protagonist. Does a really good job at portraying toxic relationships, and I found myself relating to it. (I think many people can, regardless of whether the relationship is queer, straight, or purely platonic.) However, the pacing felt a bit off, especially the last 50 pages. "Contrary to popular belief, love should never take from you." ( )
  Miriam_S | Mar 8, 2021 |

Mariko Tamakiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Valero-O’Connell, RosemaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Anna Vice,
My name is Freddy
Riley.

Checklist category/categories: Intended for a teen audience

Title: Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

Author or Creator:Mariko Tamaki

Publisher and number of pages/length of time: First Second, 304 pages

Year of publication/release: 2019

Your brief response to the title - Freddy is in love with Laura Dean but she keeps breaking up with her. This story follows Freddy and her friends as they navigate highschool and all the other types of heartbreak they can get from life and love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,243,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible