Missing Joseph by Elizabeth George

Missing Joseph (1993)

by Elizabeth George

Series: Lynley/Havers Mysteries (6)

English (17)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
And this Lynley-mystery has now also been read :-)

I liked the book a lot. Interesting story, however it may feel a bit far-fetched from time to time. On the other had: life does lead people by strange paths sometimes.

I keep being a fan of the combination mystery that needs to be solved and the personal stories of the main characters: Lynley, Havers, St. James, Helen & Deborah. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Aug 17, 2015 |
I believe this is the best Lyndley I've read to date, George did a good job of weaving 2 out of 3 ongoing relationships; and even the third inched its way a bit forward in its dilemma.

The mystery itself was complicated, but not to the point of needing notes. The ending came as no surprise as George opened it quite logically. I definitely would recommend it. ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 17, 2015 |
A top notch mystery that kept me guessing til the end - and I had read this one in 2008 when it was first published. Well worth the re-read.

This one has a very tightly plotted mystery, with side stories featuring the marital difficulties of Simon and Deborah St. James, Lynley's ongoing attempts to court Lady Helen Clyde, Barbara Haver's issues dealing with her rapidly detereiorating demented mother, and the relationships in the small town where the murder (or was it an accidental poisoning) took place. Plenty of meaty reading to keep the reader awake and turning pages long into the night. ( )
  tututhefirst | Apr 13, 2015 |
Elizabeth George is one of the premier “English-mystery” writers. As it happens, she lives and writes in California, but she apparently studied in England and does locale-specific research before each new novel. She’s very good at capturing the local dialect and geographic description, but, my goodness, I suspect she must have a peculiar love life because the characters of the two novels I’ve read have such bizarre, intertwined lives.

Her main character is Inspector Thomas Lynley, a certifiable Earl, who is in love with Lady Helen, who at one time had an affair with Lynley’s best friend and colleague, forensic pathologist Simon St. James, who is married to Deborah, who had an earlier affair with Lynley and lost his baby. Deborah is quite a few years younger than St. James and was apparently his ward — it’s not completely spelled out in this one, but my wife, who is a great fan of George assures me that reading them in order will straighten things out. Whew!

Lynley’s acerbic partner is Sergeant Barbara Havers. I think I like her character the best because she is so good at putting Lynley in his place. Anyway, in this novel, the local vicar, Mr. Sage, has been killed by accidentally ingesting water hemlock (a nasty, poisonous plant) inadvertently provided to him for dinner by Mrs. Juliet Spence, who is in love with the local constable, Colin Shepherd.

Shepherd’s investigation clears Mrs. Spence, whose daughter Maggie is sleeping with Nick, who wants to be a vet. In the meantime, Polly, daughter of the local 20 stone (English measure of weight) witch, is in love with Colin (who later rapes her), but she in turn is being lusted after by Brendon, who was forced to marry—after he got her pregnant— Rebecca, whom he utterly loathes but was reluctant to retreat from because he is a lawyer in the firm owned by her father. Whew, again!

In any case, Lynley becomes involved because St. James and Deborah have gone on holiday to this little town, and St. James realizes that something is fishy about the death of the vicar. The inquest and coroner had ruled the death an accident, following a rather clumsy investigation by Colin who, as I mentioned, is having an affair with the lady who administered the poisonous herbs mistakenly thinking they were parsnips. Apparently, New Scotland Yard CID inspectors can run around investigating closed cases in other jurisdictions willy-nilly.

Actually, this is a riveting novel with very interesting characters, but I do worry about Ms. George’s love life. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
The allege plot of the mystery itself was OK but the book as a whole was the worst I've red of this series. I'm beginning to see a pattern in this series. This book is listed as a mystery but it is more a sex novel than anything else. The Kindle version I read was 566 pages in length but if one was to remove the sex it be maybe 300.

The only character that I'm really enjoying thus far is Barbara Havers which I say George does a find job of developing but she maybe has 25 pages in "Missing Joseph"

Debra and Simon St. James see to be stuck in a marriage crises as they seem to be discovering each others emotional wiring despite they've know each other since childhood and lived in the same household. You think they know each other more then they do.

Tommy and the ever pouty Lady Helen are worse when it comes to their relationship.

George must of had very little to write about the mystery itself so she filled the pages with a bunch of 'enough already' sexual fantasies which i I imagine are hers. Who knows? I do know I'm taking a break from her Lynley series. Hopefully will read some reviews that she is giving more focus to the mystery and the character Havers .

1 vote ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houweling, MarcellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have done nothing but in care of thee,
Of thee, my dear one, thee, my daughter, who
Art ignorant of what thou art, naught knowing
Of whence I am . . .
~ The Tempest
For Deborah

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553566040, Mass Market Paperback)

Deborah and Simon St. James have taken a holiday in the winter landscape of Lancastershire, hoping to heal the growing rift in their marriage. But in the barren countryside awaits bleak news: The vicar of Wimslough, the man they had come to see, is dead—a victim of accidental poisoning. Unsatisfied with the inquest ruling and unsettled by the close association between the investigating constable and the woman who served the deadly meal, Simon calls in his old friend Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley. Together they uncover dark, complex relationships in this rural village, relationships that bring men and women together with a passion, with grief, or with the intention to kill. Peeling away layer after layer of personal history to reveal the torment of a fugitive spirit, Missing Joseph is award-winning author Elizabeth George's greatest achievement.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

Deborah and Simon take a country holiday to visit a favorite vicar only to discover that the vicar has died. The coroner's inquest has returned a verdict of "death by misadventure."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible