Missing Joseph by Elizabeth George

Missing Joseph (1993)

by Elizabeth George

Series: Lynley/Havers Mysteries (6)

English (18)  Dutch (2)  All languages (20)
good story many plots—

Deborah and Simon St. James have taken a holiday in the winter landscape of Lancaster, hoping to heal the growing rift in their marriage. But in the barren countryside awaits bleak news: The vicar of Wimslough, the man they had come to see, is dead—a victim of accidental poisoning.
  christinejoseph | Feb 7, 2016 |
Deborah and Simon St. James have taken a trip to Lancastershire, hoping to heal some problems in their marriage, caused by Deborah's inability to carry a child full term. Deborah has chosen this particular spot because she earlier had a brief conversation with Anglican vicar Robin Sage. Upon their arrival they hear that he has died of food poisoning. Simon hears more of the story, decides there's something very wrong about it and call in his best friend, Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley. While the two men are reconstructing the vicar's life story to find a key to his death, we meet several suspects, among them a spell-casting Wicca practitioner and a reclusive herbalist with a mysterious past.

Missing Joseph is a compelling study in relationships, including our own main characters of Simon and Deborah, Lynley and Lady Helen, and Barbara Havers and her mother. I especially enjoy Lynley and Havers working together to solve a crime. This book wasn't a particular favorite of mine though. I'm getting tired to Deborah's self-pity and of watching Lynley and Helen work hard to avoid any sort of future. I found it difficult to believe Simon and Deborah would take a trip to an unknown area based on a few minutes conversation with a stranger.

I'm a fan of Elizabeth George but hope the characters are less anguished in the next one.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
And this Lynley-mystery has now also been read :-)

I liked the book a lot. Interesting story, however it may feel a bit far-fetched from time to time. On the other had: life does lead people by strange paths sometimes.

I keep being a fan of the combination mystery that needs to be solved and the personal stories of the main characters: Lynley, Havers, St. James, Helen & Deborah. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Aug 17, 2015 |
I believe this is the best Lyndley I've read to date, George did a good job of weaving 2 out of 3 ongoing relationships; and even the third inched its way a bit forward in its dilemma.

The mystery itself was complicated, but not to the point of needing notes. The ending came as no surprise as George opened it quite logically. I definitely would recommend it. ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 17, 2015 |
A top notch mystery that kept me guessing til the end - and I had read this one in 2008 when it was first published. Well worth the re-read.

This one has a very tightly plotted mystery, with side stories featuring the marital difficulties of Simon and Deborah St. James, Lynley's ongoing attempts to court Lady Helen Clyde, Barbara Haver's issues dealing with her rapidly detereiorating demented mother, and the relationships in the small town where the murder (or was it an accidental poisoning) took place. Plenty of meaty reading to keep the reader awake and turning pages long into the night. ( )
  tututhefirst | Apr 13, 2015 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houweling, MarcellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have done nothing but in care of thee,
Of thee, my dear one, thee, my daughter, who
Art ignorant of what thou art, naught knowing
Of whence I am . . .
~ The Tempest
For Deborah
This is what it's like ... At first it's the fear of something larger than yourself - something over which you have no control and only limited understanding - that's inside her body with a power of its own. Then it's the anger that some rotten disease cut into her life and yours and made a mess of both. And then it's the panic because no one has any answers that you can believe in and everyone's answer is different from everyone else's anyway. Then it's the misery of being with her and her illness ... Then it's the horror of being trapped in your house with the sights and the smells and the sounds of her dying.... So when it's over and she's gone, you don't feel released the way everyone thinks you probably feel. Instead, you feel like a form of madness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553566040, Mass Market Paperback)

Deborah and Simon St. James have taken a holiday in the winter landscape of Lancastershire, hoping to heal the growing rift in their marriage. But in the barren countryside awaits bleak news: The vicar of Wimslough, the man they had come to see, is dead—a victim of accidental poisoning. Unsatisfied with the inquest ruling and unsettled by the close association between the investigating constable and the woman who served the deadly meal, Simon calls in his old friend Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley. Together they uncover dark, complex relationships in this rural village, relationships that bring men and women together with a passion, with grief, or with the intention to kill. Peeling away layer after layer of personal history to reveal the torment of a fugitive spirit, Missing Joseph is award-winning author Elizabeth George's greatest achievement.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

Deborah and Simon take a country holiday to visit a favorite vicar only to discover that the vicar has died. The coroner's inquest has returned a verdict of "death by misadventure."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible