Midnight at the Blackbird Café

by Heather Webber

Heather Webber'sMidnight at the Blackbird Cafe is a captivating blend of magical realism, heartwarming romance, and small-town Southern charm. Nestled in the mountain shadows of Alabama lies the little town of Wicklow. It is here that Anna Kate has returned to bury her beloved Granny Zee, owner of the Blackbird Café. It was supposed to be a quick trip to close the café and settle her grandmother's estate, but despite her best intentions to avoid forming ties or even getting to know her father's side of the family, Anna Kate finds herself inexplicably drawn to the quirky Southern town her mother ran away from so many years ago, and the mysterious blackbird pie everybody can't stop talking about. As the truth about her past slowly becomes clear, Anna Kate will need to decide if this lone blackbird will finally be able to take her broken wings and fly.… (more)
Recently added byArena800, LexieD2067, JenBeagle, private library, Andy5185, Dotdala_Reads, kdennis9

Very, slow read. So many characters. Very confusing at times. I was extremely disappointed in this one. Had to push myself to finish. ( )
  Leessa | Sep 3, 2022 |
Could not finish.....
  wincheryl | Jun 20, 2022 |
I've always enjoyed Heather Webber's cozy mysteries; they're fun, well-written and usually have better-than-average plots. So when this was announced I was eager to see what she'd come up with when there was no murder.

She didn't disappoint, though the overall tone of the book was a tiny bit too heavy handed for my tastes. The power of love is a wonderful thing indeed, but my nature is not one that is comfortable with being immersed in heart tugging storylines.

The book centers on two main characters: one coming to the small town of Wicklow for the first time, to see to the affairs of her grandmother's estate, and at the same time is confronted with her heritage and connection to a town she's never been to. The second MC is the emotionally neglected daughter of the town's social maven, who has come back to town a widow with toddler in tow. But the true main character of the book is the town itself and its curious connection to loved ones who have crossed over.

It was a good read, though I sensed the author was struggling to bring balance to the heavier emotions; hints of humour came from most of the characters, but never quite took hold. If it had, I'd have probably enjoyed the book even more. Still, I'll happily keep an eye out for more of Webber's work.

I read this book for Halloween Bingo's Magical Realism square. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 25, 2022 |
A light easy read. Young woman returns to Southern town to the restaurant which he grandmother owned. She will inherit the restaurant only if she stays in town and runs it for 1 year. the pies her grandmother made had magical powers and influence the decisions of many of the townspeople. ( )
  AstridG | Jul 18, 2021 |
Magical and delightful. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |

Heather Webberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lind, BethanyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Techosky, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,243,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible