A Wolf Called Wander

by Rosanne Parry

Other authors: Mónica Armiño (Illustrator)

Juvenile Fiction. Juvenile Literature. HTML:

A New York Times bestseller! "Don't miss this dazzling tour de force."Katherine Applegate, Newbery Medal winning author of The One and Only Ivan

This gripping novel about survival and family is based on the real story of one wolf's incredible journey to find a safe place to call home. Illustrated throughout, this irresistible tale by award-winning author Rosanne Parry is for fans of Sara Pennypacker's Pax and Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan.

Swift, a young wolf cub, lives with his pack in the mountains learning to hunt, competing with his brothers and sisters for hierarchy, and watching over a new litter of cubs. Then a rival pack attacks, and Swift and his family scatter.

Alone and scared, Swift must flee and find a new home. His journey takes him a remarkable one thousand miles across the Pacific Northwest. The trip is full of peril, and Swift encounters forest fires, hunters, highways, and hunger before he finds his new home.

Inspired by the extraordinary true story of a wolf named OR-7 (or Journey), this irresistible tale of survival invites readers to experience and imagine what it would be like to be one of the most misunderstood animals on earth. This gripping and appealing novel about family, courage, loyalty, and the natural world is for fans of Fred Gipson's Old Yeller and Katherine Applegate's Endling.

Includes black-and-white illustrations throughout and a map as well as information about the real wolf who inspired the novel.

Plus don't miss Rosanne Parry's stand-alone companion novel, A Whale of the Wild.

… (more)

Independent Reading Level: Grades 3-5
Awards: PNBA Book Award, New York Times Hardcover Best Seller, New York Times Paperback Best Seller, Junior Library Guild Best Books of 2019 list, Oregon Book Award Finalist 2020, Oregon Battle of the Books list 2020-2021, and Indie Next Pick for the Summer of 2019
  djlackey | Apr 28, 2024 |
Independent Reading Level: Grades 3-7
Awards: Oregon Book Award Finalist 2020
  QueenIam51 | Apr 24, 2024 |
This book is based on an actual wolf somehow separated from his pack. Anyone who loves stories that tug at your emotions will love this book. Swift wants only to be the head of a pack. His life is not an easy one. He faces many challenges in his life. His will to survive is strong. What I loved most about this book is that both kids and adults will enjoy this book. There is information in the back that will reach out to that person who loves reading nonfiction information. The story carries you along to a satisfying end. As a teacher I enjoy reading books that I can recommend to my students. This is one that I know they will really enjoy. ( )
  skstiles612 | Nov 25, 2023 |
I love Rosanne Parry's books. Whale of the Wild is still one of the first books I recommend to middle grade readers and A Wolf Called Wander will now join it's ranks. I love that Rosanne bases these books on real animals and I love learning about the real animal at the end of the book. Looking forward to reading more books from Rosanne Parry in the future. ( )
  Shauna_Morrison | Jul 22, 2023 |
4.5⭐️

A Wolf Called Wander is such a touching and lovely story. It had me feeling all the emotions. I typically stay away from books that involve animals because some tragedy always happens, but this book drew me in.

Wander is a wolf that travels a 1,000 miles, all across the Pacific Northwest. It is inspired off a real wolf’s journey, OR-7.

The illustrations that are spread sporadically are so beautiful and have me inspired to draw again. ( )
  sLeys.Reviews | Feb 22, 2023 |

Rosanne Parryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Armiño, MónicaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all who wander in search of a home
I begin in darkness, and my nose tells me everything I know.

Juvenile Fiction. Juvenile Literature. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,064,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible