N Is for Noose by Sue Grafton

N Is for Noose

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (14)

English (35)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
On her way home from helping her sometimes lover Dietz recover form his knee surgery, Kinsey stops in Nota Lake to take on an assignment that Dietz is not well enough to do. On meeting the client, Selma Newquist, the assignment seems vague in that Selma wishes Kinsey to find out what was stressing her husband when he died of a heart attack.

Tom Newquist was highly thought of and soon Kinsey detects most members of the local sheriffs office are not too happy with her investigating what Tom as up to during the weeks before his death. Then she learns that Tom's stress seem to start when the bodies of two men are discovered in isolated areas and both seem to have committed suicide using the same bizarre method of throwing a rock attached to the hanging rope off a cliff. Kinsy learns that the two men knew one another and had connections to Nota Lake.

This is a fast paced mystery with many twists and turns that puts Kinsey in major danger. ( )
  lamour | Aug 5, 2018 |
Excellent sense of place, interesting characterizations, poorly done mystery. ( )
  hopeevey | Jul 28, 2018 |
It was an exciting read and I would have rated it higher except for some plot devices that seem hard to believe: Here is a woman who has been a detective for a while now, who has been shot and has shot suspects. Yet she always seems to forget her gun so she can get paced in more danger and make the story more "exciting." There are other examples of stupid actions that seem to belie her experience and intelligence. It's like the character of the first novel has lost ground. ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
Either I've just finished this book for the second time, or Kinsey and Sue have gotten quite predictable. On the other hand, despite thinking to myself, "haven't I already read this?" I did enjoy it again and decided to keep going. Moving on to "O" just to see how off-kilter I've gotten with the series. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Kinsey, Kinsey, Kinsey. You are such a independent, stubborn woman. I love it. You leave Dietz (sob!) to go after a case that has no good ending. A cop has died, and his widow wants answers. Was it a heart attack or murder? And why was he acting so strange before he died? Kinsey, of course, can't back down. She ends up in danger (as usual). Pretty satisfying mystery overall, and I totally didn't guess the crime. Plus, we are back to the "Respectfully submitted, Kinsey Millhone" wrap up that I missed at the end of "M". ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR STEVEN,
who makes my life possible.
Sometimes I think about how odd it would be to catch a glimpse of the future, a quick view of events lying in store for us at some undisclosed date.
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449223612, Mass Market Paperback)

"Suppose we could peer through a tiny peephole in time and chance upon a flash of what was coming up in the years ahead?" The questioner is Kinsey Millhone, middle-aged, two-time divorcee detective and junk food junkie star of Sue Grafton's popular "alphabet" mysteries; the book is 'N' Is for Noose. If Kinsey had had just a smidgen of foresight, she would never have taken her current case, handed down to her from her on-again, off-again flame and comrade in arms, Robert Dietz. We encounter the two this time out after Deitz's knee surgery, as Kinsey drives his "snazzy little red Porsche" back to Carson City, where she checks out his digs for the first time. To her surprise, he lives in a palatial penthouse, which--under the unspoken bylaws of investigative etiquette--she qualmlessly snoops through. They sit around for a fortnight playing gin rummy and eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches together, but perennially single Kinsey grows wary: "It was time to hit the road before our togetherness began to chafe."

She heads off to meet Dietz's former client, Mrs. Selma Newquist, a devastated widow whose makeup tips seem to come from Tammy Faye Baker. Her husband Tom Newquist, a detective himself, had been working on a mysterious case when he abruptly died of a heart attack. Selma suspects foul play, but bless her, she isn't the brightest star in the sky and can't figure out what Tom was working on even though he's left behind enough paper to fill a recycling truck. Kinsey digs right in and roams the sleepy, one-horse town of Nota Lake for clues, interviewing a colorful cast of in-laws and locals. Beneath the quaint, quiet, country veneer, she unearths a bubbling hotbed of internal strife and familial double-dealing. Was Tom covering up for his partner? Is Selma protecting someone? Grafton's knack for gritty details and realistic characters ("[Selma's] skin tones suggested dark coloring, but her hair was a confection of white-blond curls, like a cloud of cotton candy"), coupled with the fast-paced, believable story line, makes for another delightful, entertaining read. --Rebekah Warren, Bestsellers editor

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:54 -0400)

Investigator Kinsey Millhone takes on the job of finding the truth about the suspicious death of the sheriff in Nota Lake, California.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,557,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible