N Is For Noose by Sue Grafton

N Is For Noose

by Sue Grafton

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
Meh, another disappointing book in the series. I keep expecting Millhone to actually live up to the "badass" she's forever claiming to be. Sometimes she passes muster but most of the time the character comes off as a flub. After all the scrapes she's been in she's decided not to carry a weapon?.. and the like. Not to mention the bizarrely lazy ending to this plot. I get that the abusive prick of the story was pretty much revealed in his perverse predilections when Millhone talked to the two daughters leading to her realization in the moment of who had actually been victimized/who the killer was but the psychology of the victim/killer was hardly acknowledged. Millhone often just seems like such a flat character to me. There's a bit of a shining moment here and there but for the most part I find her lacking any great spark. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
This was probably my favorite in the Kinsey Millhone series so far. The storyline and action kept it moving. The beginning was slow, but it picked up quickly. The characters were interesting and the situations were different. I was intrigued by the mystery and was surprised by the ending. The motive was predictable, but it was still a good read.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Review: N Is For Noose by Sue Grafton.

This book is a fast pace read and keeps the reader interested throughout to the surprising end. I enjoy reading about Kinsey Millhone and all her adventures. The story has a lot of plot twists and scary situations to keep you reading.

Once again Kinsey Millhone, the private investigator in this series finds herself in a different place having to deal with different people, in different situations where she is not use to being in. Grafton makes it so that Kinsey has to be diverse and, adaptable to new circumstances and surroundings. I thought it brought more highlight to the story and a change of venue.

This time Kinsey case is to investigate Selma Newquist’s husband Tom, a police official, who just happen to die suddenly by a heart attack. The question concerning Selma wasn’t the heart attack; it was the issue of his worry character and gloomy disposition prior to the attack. Kinsey has found herself in a town where people stick together and denounce outsiders, especially the ones who ask too many question or poked their nose where it wasn’t wanted. She ends up being attacked and hurt, but she comes back strong and determined to find answers.

The only con about the story was that it seemed to end to fast. I think Grafton could have stretched the ending a bit more, otherwise I thought it was a good read.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Solid entry, different location than most of the stories
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Kinsey Milhone takes a case in a small town. Dead is a cop, apparently of a heart attack. But his wife, unloved by the community and perhaps deservedly so, knows that something had been bothering her husband before he died, and now she wants to know what, for her own piece of mind. So she hires Kinsey to find out what was going on, but not everyone shares the wife's desire to know. Kinsey finds out relatively quickly that the cop had been investigating a year-old murder case, that originally looked like a suicide by hanging (hence the title). However, the method of suicide exactly matched another case, so he knew it wasn't suicide -- hence an investigation that had been going nowhere. Worse still, the only suspects were in the small town, and most of them were friends. Kinsey searches, finds the original path of inquiry and starts digging. In the process she gets beat up, warned off, almost fired, belittled by her client, and pretty much treated badly by everyone in the town when they find out she isn't the innocent little camper people mistook her for at the beginning.
WHAT I LIKED:
The story is pretty linear, although Grafton takes her own sweet time bringing Kinsey to see it. There's a short intro to some problems with Rosey back home, obviously something to come up again in a later book, but most of it is just Kinsey alone in the small town getting nowhere. Once she cottons on to the real path, the investigation is pretty straight-forward, but she doesn't see the result until it is almost too late. There's some really weird stuff at the end to do with some drugged-out hallucinations, and it makes for an interesting incapacitation plotline.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Grafton takes a little too long to get to the investigation, almost like the story started out as a short story, with all the stuff at the start added to expand the length. Although the tightness of the ending makes the story move along, it all wrapped up too quickly.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Apr 7, 2016 |
An interesting story line and a surprise ending, which I enjoyed. I preferred V is for Vengeance. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR STEVEN,
who makes my life possible.
Sometimes I think about how odd it would be to catch a glimpse of the future, a quick view of events lying in store for us at some undisclosed date.
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449223612, Mass Market Paperback)

"Suppose we could peer through a tiny peephole in time and chance upon a flash of what was coming up in the years ahead?" The questioner is Kinsey Millhone, middle-aged, two-time divorcee detective and junk food junkie star of Sue Grafton's popular "alphabet" mysteries; the book is 'N' Is for Noose. If Kinsey had had just a smidgen of foresight, she would never have taken her current case, handed down to her from her on-again, off-again flame and comrade in arms, Robert Dietz. We encounter the two this time out after Deitz's knee surgery, as Kinsey drives his "snazzy little red Porsche" back to Carson City, where she checks out his digs for the first time. To her surprise, he lives in a palatial penthouse, which--under the unspoken bylaws of investigative etiquette--she qualmlessly snoops through. They sit around for a fortnight playing gin rummy and eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches together, but perennially single Kinsey grows wary: "It was time to hit the road before our togetherness began to chafe."

She heads off to meet Dietz's former client, Mrs. Selma Newquist, a devastated widow whose makeup tips seem to come from Tammy Faye Baker. Her husband Tom Newquist, a detective himself, had been working on a mysterious case when he abruptly died of a heart attack. Selma suspects foul play, but bless her, she isn't the brightest star in the sky and can't figure out what Tom was working on even though he's left behind enough paper to fill a recycling truck. Kinsey digs right in and roams the sleepy, one-horse town of Nota Lake for clues, interviewing a colorful cast of in-laws and locals. Beneath the quaint, quiet, country veneer, she unearths a bubbling hotbed of internal strife and familial double-dealing. Was Tom covering up for his partner? Is Selma protecting someone? Grafton's knack for gritty details and realistic characters ("[Selma's] skin tones suggested dark coloring, but her hair was a confection of white-blond curls, like a cloud of cotton candy"), coupled with the fast-paced, believable story line, makes for another delightful, entertaining read. --Rebekah Warren, Bestsellers editor

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:54 -0400)

Investigator Kinsey Millhone takes on the job of finding the truth about the suspicious death of the sheriff in Nota Lake, California.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,490,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible