N Is For Noose by Sue Grafton

N Is For Noose

by Sue Grafton

English (27)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
BOTTOM-LINE:
Solid entry, different location than most of the stories
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Kinsey Milhone takes a case in a small town. Dead is a cop, apparently of a heart attack. But his wife, unloved by the community and perhaps deservedly so, knows that something had been bothering her husband before he died, and now she wants to know what, for her own piece of mind. So she hires Kinsey to find out what was going on, but not everyone shares the wife's desire to know. Kinsey finds out relatively quickly that the cop had been investigating a year-old murder case, that originally looked like a suicide by hanging (hence the title). However, the method of suicide exactly matched another case, so he knew it wasn't suicide -- hence an investigation that had been going nowhere. Worse still, the only suspects were in the small town, and most of them were friends. Kinsey searches, finds the original path of inquiry and starts digging. In the process she gets beat up, warned off, almost fired, belittled by her client, and pretty much treated badly by everyone in the town when they find out she isn't the innocent little camper people mistook her for at the beginning.
WHAT I LIKED:
The story is pretty linear, although Grafton takes her own sweet time bringing Kinsey to see it. There's a short intro to some problems with Rosey back home, obviously something to come up again in a later book, but most of it is just Kinsey alone in the small town getting nowhere. Once she cottons on to the real path, the investigation is pretty straight-forward, but she doesn't see the result until it is almost too late. There's some really weird stuff at the end to do with some drugged-out hallucinations, and it makes for an interesting incapacitation plotline.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Grafton takes a little too long to get to the investigation, almost like the story started out as a short story, with all the stuff at the start added to expand the length. Although the tightness of the ending makes the story move along, it all wrapped up too quickly.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Apr 7, 2016 |
An interesting story line and a surprise ending, which I enjoyed. I preferred V is for Vengeance. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
Another good installment in the Kinsey Millhone/Alphabet series and a perfect change of pace for me after having spent the past 4 weeks listening to War and Peace. This one pretty much picks up just two months after where [M is for Malice] left off. While my prime enjoyment for these stories comes from being able to 'travel back in time' to the 1980/90's with a spunky female private investigator to visit, this one had a good level of suspense built in. While this was one of those rare times where I was able to figure out the culprit before the reveal, Grafton was still able to keep my interest as Kinsey worked her way through the details to the conclusion.

Overall, a good solid mystery and a great reading palette cleanser for me. ( )
  lkernagh | Feb 10, 2016 |
Meh, another disappointing book in the series. I keep expecting Millhone to actually live up to the "badass" she's forever claiming to be. Sometimes she passes muster but most of the time the character comes off as a flub. After all the scrapes she's been in she's decided not to carry a weapon?.. and the like. Not to mention the bizarrely lazy ending to this plot. I get that the abusive prick of the story was pretty much revealed in his perverse predilections when Millhone talked to the two daughters leading to her realization in the moment of who had actually been victimized/who the killer was but the psychology of the victim/killer was hardly acknowledged. Millhone often just seems like such a flat character to me. There's a bit of a shining moment here and there but for the most part I find her lacking any great spark. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |
Kinsey is hired by a vain and difficult widow. Her cop husband died of a heart attack and she is convinced that he was investigating something big before his death. He had a reputation of refusing to let things go; pursuing cases long after they'd been solved if he smelled something fishy.

After investigating in the tiny town for awhile Kinsey realizes that people are are avoiding or shunning her. She can't even get gas for her car because someone has been spreading rumors about her past. The plot moves slowly and isn't too thrilling. The end is good and wraps things up nicely, but the book feels thin, much of it acting as filler.

BOTTOM LINE: Not one of Grafton's best mysteries. Each one seems to be very hit or miss, but my expectations are always low. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 13, 2014 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR STEVEN,
who makes my life possible.
Sometimes I think about how odd it would be to catch a glimpse of the future, a quick view of events lying in store for us at some undisclosed date.
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449223612, Mass Market Paperback)

"Suppose we could peer through a tiny peephole in time and chance upon a flash of what was coming up in the years ahead?" The questioner is Kinsey Millhone, middle-aged, two-time divorcee detective and junk food junkie star of Sue Grafton's popular "alphabet" mysteries; the book is 'N' Is for Noose. If Kinsey had had just a smidgen of foresight, she would never have taken her current case, handed down to her from her on-again, off-again flame and comrade in arms, Robert Dietz. We encounter the two this time out after Deitz's knee surgery, as Kinsey drives his "snazzy little red Porsche" back to Carson City, where she checks out his digs for the first time. To her surprise, he lives in a palatial penthouse, which--under the unspoken bylaws of investigative etiquette--she qualmlessly snoops through. They sit around for a fortnight playing gin rummy and eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches together, but perennially single Kinsey grows wary: "It was time to hit the road before our togetherness began to chafe."

She heads off to meet Dietz's former client, Mrs. Selma Newquist, a devastated widow whose makeup tips seem to come from Tammy Faye Baker. Her husband Tom Newquist, a detective himself, had been working on a mysterious case when he abruptly died of a heart attack. Selma suspects foul play, but bless her, she isn't the brightest star in the sky and can't figure out what Tom was working on even though he's left behind enough paper to fill a recycling truck. Kinsey digs right in and roams the sleepy, one-horse town of Nota Lake for clues, interviewing a colorful cast of in-laws and locals. Beneath the quaint, quiet, country veneer, she unearths a bubbling hotbed of internal strife and familial double-dealing. Was Tom covering up for his partner? Is Selma protecting someone? Grafton's knack for gritty details and realistic characters ("[Selma's] skin tones suggested dark coloring, but her hair was a confection of white-blond curls, like a cloud of cotton candy"), coupled with the fast-paced, believable story line, makes for another delightful, entertaining read. --Rebekah Warren, Bestsellers editor

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:54 -0400)

Investigator Kinsey Millhone takes on the job of finding the truth about the suspicious death of the sheriff in Nota Lake, California.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,850,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible