September by Rosamunde Pilcher

September (1990)

by Rosamunde Pilcher

The brilliant bestseller by the much-loved Rosamunde Pilcher. As spring comes to Scotland and the hills burst into life, a dance is planned for September. The invitations summon home the group of people Violet Aird has cared for most in her long life. The oldest, strongest and wisest of them all, she sees Alexa, her vulnerable granddaughter, find love for the first time, while the decision to send her little grandson away to school is driving parents Edmund and Virginia even further apart. Far from them all is Pandora, the glamorous, exciting girl who ran away twenty years before. All will converge on Scotland this September, bringing their stories with them.… (more)

English (17)  German (1)  All languages (18)
While I would not have added this book to the stack I meant to read had it not been for the September Cats, I really enjoyed the story once I got into it. A multigenerational story of the sort not often written today, we follow the lives and relationships of two Scottish families over the course of a summer from May to September culminating in a big party they have all been looking forward to attending. There are surprises and changes and even some romance as the summer advances to autumn.

I would definitely read something else by this author at some point.
  hailelib | Oct 9, 2019 |
First book this year to make me ugly cry...and I loved it. Pilcher knows how to write about complicated and flawed characters that you love so much. She's even better at complicated family dynamics. This book was lovely. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
A good old fashioned read with a straightforward plot and some entertaining characters.

For a complete review click on the link:

ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
Too long. Too many story lines. Too little genuine drama. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Lovely, but predictable and dated. ( )
  VintageReader | Jul 9, 2017 |
In early May, the summer came, at last, to Scotland. Winter had clung, with steely fingers, for far too long, refusing to relinquish its cruel grip. All through April, bitter winds had blown from the north-west, tearing the first blossom from the wild geynes, and burning brown the yellow trumpets of the early daffodils. Snow frosted the hilltops and lay deep in corries, and the farmers, despairing of fresh grazing, tractored the last of their feed out to the barren fields where lowing stock huddled in the shelter of the drystone walls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,808,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible