Frankly in Love

by David Yoon

"High school senior Frank Li takes a risk to go after a girl his parents would never approve of, but his plans will leave him wondering if he ever really understood love--or himself--at all"--

joyblue | May 10, 2021 |
I didn't know what to expect with Frankly in Love by David Yoon. I finally listened to it after having it for a long time!

Frank lives in two worlds with two names. His family is Korean, so he has a Korean name and an American name because he was raised in the United States. He doesn't understand his parents' devotion to all things Korean. They regularly meet with other Korean families. The kids all get along although they don't socialize together at school. This novel is about Frank's senior year where pretty much everything can happen. He's bombarded with emotional challenges throughout the year and into his freshman year.

Frank crushes on Brit Means, and he's excited to learn, she's crushing on him. They begin dating, but Frank knows that his parents won't approve because she's not Korean. She's white. He doesn't want to tell her, so there are awkward moments avoiding his family while she openly dates him in front of her family. His sister has already been admonished and sort of kicked out of the family for dating and ultimately marrying a black man. Frank knows he can't bring Brit home. One of the other limbos (Korean kids at the Korean gatherings) also dates a non-Korean secretly. They devise a plan that they will fake date. The Korean parents will think Frank and Joy are dating when in reality, they split and go out with their respective boy/girl friend.

Of course, life can't be this easy to manipulate. As the year progresses, Frank learns about love and about family. Yoon throws in lots of learning lessons for Frank beyond merely dating and dealing with leaving friends and family behind for college. Not wanting to spoil the many twists and turns of the novel, I will stop there. Perhaps being female and not being Korean influences my feelings about the novel. I felt that Frank was a bit emotionally distant. He doesn't seem that affected by what happens to his family. Another quirk about Frank is his attitude. It's a good attitude although a bit unrealistic. He'll say that he chooses to interpret (whatever situation) in a positive light instead of being offended. Great way to be, but I wonder how realistic this attitude is in a teenager. Overall, I liked the book for the most part. To an extent, I thought, it was too much. Life can feel that way, however, so I can let that go. ( )
  acargile | May 7, 2021 |
Yoon says so much with Frankly in Love. It is a story about family, friendship, love, culture, defining yourself on your own terms, loss, and hope. It is funny and sad and sweet.

"If you are so unfortunate as to have no one in your life who can make you laugh, drop everything and find someone. Cross the dessert if you must. Because laughter isn't just about the funny. Laughter is the music of the deep cosmos connecting all human beings that says all the things mere words cannot."(p. 88)

"[L]ove is a belief mutually held. As soon as that belief fades on either end, then poof, the whole thing falls face-flat like a tug-of-war suddenly gone one-sided."(p. 377) ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
A great read

This book was definitely more than I expected it to be, and I am gladly surprised. At first I though this YA book was just another love triangle story; but it deals with loss, teenage confusion, high school stress, cultural differences, family traditions, friends, and of course LOVE. All this other unexpected elements made it of course not just another teenage love story.
Even when I couldn’t personally relate to most characters they still felt real and compatible to one’s self. I’m pretty sure that some people can relate more to the events and reactions of this carters more than me, and would defiantly enjoy the details the author displays on his writing.
At the beginning the plot was predictable, but as the story continues it becomes less predictable, with tiny twists that make the plot more tense and exiting.
All the characters are simply charming, I have to admit that I had a great laugh reading unexpected interactions and reactions. Also the author’s voice is light an easy to follow.
Even though I didn’t like the end if felt like a real one, surely and ending that takes a few minutes of silence to sink in.
I really enjoyed this book and it’s a certified YA read! Perfect for teens. ( )
  book_velvet | Mar 2, 2021 |
Frank, Q, Joy, and Brit are like my High School Friend group, except with parents who have such higher expectation levels. I appreciated the modern setting mixing with new-to-me Korean American culture. This book was really hyped up for me, due to the appealing cover art and the clever book trailer, and I ended up liking it when I thought I was going to love it. I appreciate the unexpected parts, the cute date parts, the sad parts, and the nerdy parts. If this gets made into a movie, I will 100% watch it. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |

David Yoonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gildersleeve, OwenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,851,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible