Dispel Illusion by Mark Lawrence

Dispel Illusion

by Mark Lawrence

Everything comes full circle in Dispel Illusion by Mark Lawrence, the final book in the Impossible Times trilogy. Nick and Mia's story moves relentlessly toward the crisis of 2012 that is the heart of events in 1986. Yeah, that's time travel for you!

I continue to enjoy just how well the D&D campaign is woven into the overall plot. It's brilliant. Lawrence's ability to mix in the scientific theory and make it all seem plausible without being overwhelming is also great. Watching the kids grow up and apart made me wistful. I was also able to figure out the main part the big twist ahead of time due to the well place foreshadowing though there were still some surprises along the way.

This is a fitting end to the series, with everything wrapped up nicely and all my questions answered. I've enjoyed the time I spent getting to know Nick and his friends. ( )
  Narilka | Dec 1, 2019 |
The two saving graces of explosions are that from the outside they're pretty and from the inside they're quick.
This is the real world. Nobody arrives in the nick of time to save you. The authorities arrive after the event, tag the bodies, photograph the blood spatters. It's always been that way. Always will be.
We imagine ourselves creatures of deep emotion and grand gestures. I had thought that my sorrow would be some vast thing that I would wrestle with, that I would be locked in battle with as I sat by Mia's need, unblinking. But the truth was that boredom soon took over, relegating my grief to a hollow she that wouldn't let me go, but wouldn't occupy my mind either.
The universe doesn't care about time. We care about time. Because we remember.
People often speculate as to what they might do with the last month, week, or day remaining to them, given that they are in good health and know what's coming. The truth is that even though I'd had plenty of time to think about it, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. In an awfully way, I just wanted it to hurry up and happen. There's a certain pain associated with doing even things you love and knowing that it is for the last time.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,790,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible