Faithful Unto Death (1996)

by Caroline Graham

3201063,762 (3.54)13
Inspector Tom Barnaby investigates the disappearance of a woman from an English village, an apparent abduction for ransom. The case gets a new twist when her husband commits suicide--that is, if it was indeed suicide.

This wasn't my most favorite of the series but I still love it dearly. It was also a clear case of the TV series not following the books. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
I was intrigued throughout the book, but the ending was a big letdown for me. For one thing, there is no mention at all about the fate of one of the major and most interesting characters, which, for me, left a huge, gaping hole in the narrative. Can't go into my other reasons without spoiling the book, but such a disappointment after all the buildup. ( )
  TanteLeonie | Jul 21, 2021 |
A somewhat disappointing continuation of the Inspector Barnaby series with rather boring characters. ( )
  M_Clark | May 27, 2021 |
I love the way Caroline Graham writes! Such detail, and she creates a world that allow your senses to wrap around the people, places and incidents. I haven't seen Midsomer Murder yet (the TV series based upon her novels), but now I can't wait! ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
Simone Hollingsworth is missing. Has she left her husband or has she been kidnapped or even murdered? Barnaby and Troy investigate.

Again a satisfyingly complex mystery which outdoes the TV version, which even here veers quite a bit from the storyline of the book in the final episode of the first series before veering off on its own in the subsequent series.

It becomes more obvious in this story that Causton in the books is in the area where I grew up rather than Midsomer being a county in its own right. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 27, 2017 |
Dramatist to this house is Death. Austere,
Withdrawn, the scripts he writes.

Ridge House, U. A. Fanthorpe.
For my friends
Lili and Neville Armstrong
Simone Hollingsworth disappeared on Thursday, June 6.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,222,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible