Fiona's Luck (2007)

by Teresa Bateman

Other authors: Kelly Murphy (Illustrator)

20716103,208 (3.83)None
A clever woman named Fiona must pass the leprechaun king's tests when she tries to get back all the luck he has locked away from humans.

This picture book tells the Irish folklore story of all of a towns luck being taken and stored away from their king. It shows a young lady using her smarts to take back the luck and restore it to the town. I liked this story a lot for its message about greed and knowledge and I think that it would be a great book for fourth to sixth grade ELAR or social study classrooms! This book also has great pictures along with the words. ( )
  Allisonhefti | Nov 18, 2020 |
This book takes place in a town where everything is focused on luck and the leprechauns who hold it. The Leprechaun King thought the humans were taking advantage of the luck, so he decided to take all of the luck and hid it in a chest. Along comes Fiona, who decides to take it upon herself and get back the luck and save the town. Fiona is strong, witty, and brave. As she outwits the King, she is granted one wish that restores the luck to the entire town.

I've really enjoyed reading two different Irish cultured fairytales. I love how strong Fiona was and how she isn't your typical female protagonist. I saw a lot of myself in Fiona and if I was introduced to her at a younger age I think I would have actually liked fairytales. I also liked how unpredictable the book was. Whenever I read fairytales I can always predict what will happen next, but with this one I became more and more intrigued each page. This book would be a great way to discuss problem solving and also how you don't have to rely on other to make yourself happy. ( )
  aquinn | Mar 14, 2018 |
I would recommend this book for second graders and above due to the fact that it is a long book and younger children may loose interest as it goes on. There is a good amount of writing on each page, but each page still is covered in illustrations that match the writing.
This book focuses on a town that is ran by luck and leprechauns. The Leprechaun King thought that bigger people, humans, were taking advantage of the luck so he took all the luck in the land and hid it in a chest. One girl, Fiona, decided that she would take matters into her own hands to have the land restored and not famished. Through her own wit, she tricked the King and was granted one wish. Her wish was for a hole to be placed on the box with the luck and Fiona brought luck back into the land.
Through this book, children are taught how to be smart about their decisions and how to create their own luck. One should not rely on another for happiness, but should create your own.
This book could be used during a St. Patrick's Day activity or on a instructional lesson about folktales in other countries. ( )
  KelseyGilgannon | Sep 26, 2016 |
I picked this book because I was trying to find a book to share for St. Patricks Day. For this book I would have the students write about what they would rather have; wit or luck and why. ( )
  ksd011 | Mar 16, 2016 |
A fun tale of how a clever girl can outwit the leprechauns. The strong female character was nicely represented as being resourceful, clever and brave. I read this book through TumbleBooks, which is a fun and engaging way for children to access books.

Curricular connections: could be used as part of a unit on folktales from different cultures. A focus on strong female characters in traditional literature. ( )
  linnea_simon | Jan 28, 2016 |

Teresa Batemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murphy, KellyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Stephanie, Shannon, and Emma--When challenged, they lift up their chins. They know luck is grand, And can give you a hand, But they also know Cleverness wins. --T.B.
To my grandparents, the Brodericks and Howleys, the McAdams and Murphys--K.M.
Once, luck was as free to be had in Ireland as sunlight, and just as plentiful.

Charlesbridge

An edition of this book was published by Charlesbridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,469,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible