The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (1987)

by Ernest Hemingway

Before he gained wide fame as a novelist, Ernest Hemingway established his literary reputation with his short stories. Set in the varied landscapes of Spain, Africa, and the American Midwest, this definitive audio collection traces the development and maturation of Hemingway's distinct and revolutionary storytelling style -- from the plain bald language of his first story to his mastery of seamless prose that contained a spare, eloquent pathos, as well as a sense of expansive solitude ...… (more)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: The only 20th century American writer who rivals Hemingway in economy and forcefulness of language.
    Hemingway in Michigan by Dr. Constance Cappel (Anonymous user)

It has never occurred to me before, but the autor seems to have been obsessed with physical violence, whether in the form of war, boxing, corrida, hunting ... Which is maybe why I still consider one of the few 'non-violent' stories, A Clean, Well-Lighted Place, the best he's ever written. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Oct 24, 2020 |
Hemingway expresses it well himself in one of the stories when he describes his alter-ego as writing morbid stories. Maybe not morbid, but they all have such a morose feel to them. It's like listening to hours of music in a minor key, discordant and mournful. He was not a happy camper. There is no joy in any of his stories. Awe sometimes, but never joy. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 18, 2014 |
This collection of stories is wonderful. Hemingway was a master of the short story genre and one of the finest American writers ever. Ever word is meaningful and well crafted into extraordinary stories. "Hills Like White Elephants" is my absolute favorite of the bunch. ( )
1 vote susanbevans | Jan 15, 2010 |
for me to give these marvelous nick adams and early war stories anything less than five stars would be blasphemous indeed. I've read and re-read the early stories, and especially "Up in Michigan," "Indian Camp," and "Big Two-Hearted RIver (parts 1 and 2)" are delicious to read again, and again. If I were allowed only one book or one person's work to have for eternity, it would be Papa's Before one thinks I am going to put him on a pedestal and worship him as a cohort of the angels, let me say I know he spelled worse than an Irish immigrant and didn't "develope" a style in maturity. His fifth grade essay reprinted by Carlos Baker in that author's biography shows the exact same literary style as used in "A Farewell to Arms." I sure wish I could find an editor like Max Perkins, or an agent like Scott Meredith. ( )
1 vote andyray | Nov 9, 2008 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Lanterne (L 1)

Is contained in

Contains

Has as a student's study guide

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber: It was now lunch time and they were all sitting under the double green fly of the dining tent pretending that nothing had happened.
Please distinguish this "Complete Stories" edition from the "Finca Vigía edition," which includes an additional seven stories of previously unpublished fiction.

Contents:

"The first forty-nine."
  • The short happy life of Francis Macomber
  • The capital of the world
  • The snows of Kilimanjaro
  • Old man at the bridge
  • Up in Michigan
  • On the Quai at Smyrna
  • Indian camp
  • The doctor and the doctor's wife
  • The end of something
  • The undefeated
  • In another country
  • Hills like white elephants
  • The killers
  • Che ti dice la patria?
  • Fifty grand
  • Banal story
  • Now I lay me
  • After the storm
  • A clean, well-lighted place
  • The light of the world
  • God rest you merry, gentlemen
  • The sea change
  • A way you'll never be
  • The mother of a queen
  • One reader writes
  • Homage to Switzerland
  • A day's wait
  • A natural history of the dead
  • Wine of Wyoming
  • The gambler, the nun, and the radio
  • Fathers and sons.
Short stories published in books or magazines subsequent to "The first forty-nine."
  • One trip across
  • The tradesman's return
  • The denunciation
  • The butterfly and the tank
  • Night before battle
  • A man of the world
  • Summer people
  • The last good country
  • An African story.
This edition OMITS: Previously unpublished fiction.
  • A train trip
  • The porter
  • Black ass at the cross roads
  • Landscape with figures
  • I guess everything reminds you of something
  • Great news from the mainland
  • The strange country

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,281,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible