The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock

The Book of Questions

by Gregory Stock

The phenomenon returns! Originally published in 1987,? The Book of Questions, a?├â┬┐New York Times?├â┬┐bestseller, has been completely revised and updated to incorporate the myriad cultural shifts and hot-button issues of the past twenty-five years, making it current and even more appealing.

The revised edition includes more than 100 all-new questions that delve into such topics as the disappearing border between man and machineƒ??How would you react if you learned that a sad and beautiful poem that touched you deeply had been written by a computer??ÿThe challenges of being a parentƒ??Would you completely rewrite your childƒ??s college-application essays if it would help him get into a better school??ÿThe never-endingly interesting topic of sexƒ??Would you be willing to give up sex for a year if you knew it would give you a much deeper sense of peace than you now have??ÿAnd of course the meaning of it allƒ??If you were handed an envelope with the date of your death inside, and you knew you could do nothing to alter your fate, would you look?

n

The Book of Questions?ÿmay be the only publication that challengesƒ??and even changesƒ??the way you view the world, without offering a single opinion of its own. ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
It's rather cheesy but I use it o road trips where the cheesiness isn't too big of a problem. ( )
  JackDayHova | Dec 31, 2016 |
Good for teaching free conversation classes. Some of the vocabulary is a bit complex for non-native speakers, but the issues are issues we all deal with all of the time. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I like the premise of this book, there are some great questions in there, they really make you think. ( )
  magickislife | Dec 29, 2015 |
A small volume from the late 80s consisting entirely of questions designed to provoke thought, discussion, or self-examination. Most of them are based on hypothetical scenarios. Some semi-random examples: "If you could use a voodoo doll to hurt anyone you chose, would you?", "Would you be willing to have horrible nightmares every night for a year if you would be rewarded with extraordinary wealth?", "What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?" There's lots of moral dilemmas and artificial choices, and questions about what you would trade for wealth or money or love or fulfillment.

I bought this at a library sale something like twenty years ago, and it sat on my shelves all that time until I finally decided to pick it up and read through it. Alas, I think that long, long delay was unfortunate, because this sort of exercise is surely much more interesting, enlightening, and useful when you're college-age and still figuring out who you are and what you value. Coming to it in my 40s, though... Well, for most of the questions either I already had an answer I'd worked out years ago, or the questions just seemed kind of stupid. ( )
  bragan | Dec 1, 2014 |

A New York Times bestseller with over 1.9 million copies in print, THE BOOK OF QUESTIONS poses 265 questions that invite people to explore the most fascinating of subjects: themselves. These questions are as intriguing as our very lives because they are about our lives-our fundamental values and beliefs, our dreams and nightmares about sex, money, love, power.

Some of the questions thrust you into a value-testing hypothetical situation (Would you accept 20 years of extraordinary happiness and fulfillment if it meant you would die at the end of the period?), some ask you to delve into your past (When is the last time you stole anything?) and help you find out if you've changed (Would you now return it if you could?), and others reveal your basic nature by examining your behavior (When you are given a compliment do you usually acknowledge it or suggest that you really do not deserve it?). Whether used as an avenue for personal growth, a tool for deepening relationships, or simply as an entertainment, The Book of Questions may be the only publication that challenges-and even changes-the way readers view the world, without offering a single opinion of its own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:44 -0400)

The phenomenon returns! Originally published in 1987, The Book of Questions, a New York Times bestseller, has been completely revised and updated to incorporate the myriad cultural shifts and hot-button issues of the past twenty-five years, making it current and even more appealing. This is a book for personal growth, a tool for deepening relationships, a lively conversation starter for the family dinner table, a fun way to pass the time in the car. It poses over 300 questions that invite people to explore the most fascinating of subjects: themselves and how they really feel about the world. The revised edition includes more than 100 all-new questions that delve into such topics as the disappearing border between man and machine?How would you react if you learned that a sad and beautiful poem that touched you deeply had been written by a computer? The challenges of being a parent?Would you completely rewrite your child?s college-application essays if it would help him get into a better school? The never-endingly interesting topic of sex?Would you be willing to give up sex for a year if you knew it would give you a much deeper sense of peace than you now have? And of course the meaning of it all?If you were handed an envelope with the date of your death inside, and you knew you could do nothing to alter your fate, would you look? The Book of Questions may be the only publication that challenges?and even changes?the way you view the world, without offering a single opinion of its own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,700,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible