Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty

Fourth Comings

by Megan McCafferty

I have really been struggling with this review. I feel so indifferent that it’s actually hard for me to determine whether I even liked this novel. Everything I had loved about the first two novels has completely disappeared by the fourth. I’m beginning to realize that what I loved so much was that I felt as if I were a friend of Jessica. Crazy, I know but that is how it felt. The two of us we just going through our lives together and while she was sharing more of her issues, I could completely empathize. It had become something of substance and I felt cheated by the singular week provided. It was the first time that the friendship felt superficial to me. She claims that she is putting down all of her feelings on paper so that she can sort through her thoughts concerning the proposal but there really wasn’t a lot of that. She just seemed to brush everything she was really feeling under the rug and there it remained until someone else brought it up. Perhaps I’m so indifferent because she is. I felt like she had lost a lot of the passion and excitement that had led me to her in the first place. I’m glad to know what happened next but she has become a person I doubt I would like to be around. I feel as if it’s almost as if the author is sick of her too. Honestly, I’m not really looking forward to the final installment. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Originally read in September 2010. What I liked most about this book was how other characters came to the surface more. It's still told very much from inside Jessica's head, but Hope, Manda, Bethany, and Marin are pulled to the forefront. Maybe because Jessica is writing this notebook for Marcus, instead of recording her thoughts for herself. The overarching story of Jessica contemplating a major question from Marcus drags on a little too long as she overthinks it, but it's a good chance to see the other people in her life. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
The pace really threw me, especially since I started this right after charmed thirds. I loved that Hope was in this, but felt kind of betrayed by her. And I was not a fan of the ending. It just didn't feel right. Whatever happens in the final book cannot completely make up for this one. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
After inadvertently rereading the entire Jessica Darling series every year like clockwork without fail since Books 3-4 were published, I think I can safely say that FOURTH COMINGS is my favorite of the five books.

Are you surprised? Is this an unconventional choice? Sloppy Firsts had that sparkling magic of the first in a series you know will be good; Second Helpings was the fulfillment of a happy ending; Charmed Thirds allowed Jessica to develop more insight and maturity than before, plus did even more wonderful things with all the secondary characters; and Perfect Fifths—well, just read the title. Compared to the other books (with the possible exception of Charmed Thirds), FOURTH COMINGS is the saddest. (With the possible exception of Perfect Fifths) It’s the installment where the narrative form gets most in the way of Jessica’s typically candid journals—because here she’s addressing Marcus Flutie and, like she says, the moment there’s an audience, the honesty of the writing is inevitably affected.

But…

Still…

Despite all that.

Full disclosure: I have been in a similar state of emotions and mind as 22-year-old Jessica Darling for what feels like the past several years. It’s the stomach-flipping, giddy-with-terror feeling of not knowing what the hell you want to do an hour from now, let alone in ten years, and yet feeling all the societal pressure to make decisions about your CAREER and your BABYDADDY/BABYMAMA and your CHILDBIRTHING METHODS right now, now, now. It’s the fear of letting go that which we were certain of in our past but are not sure how it fits into our present and future.

It is because of this similarity in our mindsets that I think makes me able to understand Jessica a lot at this stage in her life. There may be little in the way of plot, to speak nothing of the pacing (the whole book takes place over the course of less than a week), but what does that matter to me when I hang on to Jessica’s every word because I can see fragments of myself in all of her entries?

I think Jessica Darling represents the worst in us, and that’s why her post-Book 2 tales make people suuuuper uncomfortable. In choosing the journal as her format of choice, McCafferty commits unapologetically to illustrating the parts of (female) human nature that most of us don’t like to see reflected in literature—our insecurity in the face of other, more accomplished, more beautiful, nicer women; our preoccupation with sex, relationships, and love, and how they are tied to our identities; our borderline-desperate search for the meaning and purpose that society demands from our lives. This is realism at its realest, and damn if it doesn’t hurt like a wake-up punch in the face.

The Jessica Darling books are not just novels. They are what we would write to ourselves if we were articulate and introspective and talented enough to put our deepest, darkest, most shameful thoughts to paper.

That’s why FOURTH COMINGS is my favorite. ( )
  stephxsu | Apr 22, 2013 |
Back and forth between Marcus and Jessica! As their relationship is rocky, you have to stay until the end to see what happens! ( )
  irinka87 | Jan 3, 2012 |
I thought about you if only because I wondered how long it would take me to stop thinking about you. I thought about you, and how I might never be able to forgive you for all the girls who came before me, nor myself for all the men who would come after you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030734651X, Paperback)

The New York Times Bestseller

“Acidly funny, imaginatively profane, and, above all, a sharp reflection of the what-to-do-now, post-college dilemma.­”
Miami Herald

Is the real world ready for Jessica Darling?

At first it seems she’s living the New York City dream. She’s subletting an apartment with her best friend, working for a magazine that actually cares about her psychology degree, and still deeply in love with the charismatic Marcus Flutie.

But reality is more complicated than dreamy clichés.

When Marcus proposes—giving her only one week to answer—Jessica must decide if she’s ready to give up a world of late-night literary soirees, art openings, and downtown drunken karaoke to move back to New Jersey and be with the one man who’s gripped her heart for years. Jessica ponders this and other life choices with her signature snark and hyper-intense insight, making it the most tumultuous and memorable week of her twenty-something life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

Searching desperately for work and sharing an apartment with three other girls in a Brooklyn brownstone, Jessica Darling is stunned when her on-again, off-again boyfriend, Marcus Flutie, asks her to marry him and gives her a week to think it over.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,371,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible