Care of the Soul : A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life (1992)

by Thomas Moore

#1 New York Times Bestseller With a new introduction by the author and additional material, this 25th anniversary edition of the #1 New York Times bestseller by Thomas Moore provides a powerful spiritual message for our troubled times. In this special 25th anniversary edition of Thomas Moore's bestselling book Care of the Soul readers are presented with a revolutionary approach to thinking about daily life-everyday activities, events, problems and creative opportunities-and a therapeutic lifestyle is proposed that focuses on looking more deeply into emotional problems and learning how to sense sacredness in even ordinary things. Basing his writing on the ancient model of "care of the soul"-which provided a religious context for viewing the everyday events of life-Moore brings "care of the soul" into the 21st century. Promising to deepen and broaden the reader's perspective on his or her own life experiences, Moore draws on his own life as a therapist practicing "care of the soul," as well as his studies of the world's religions and his work in music and art, to create this inspirational guide that examines the connections between spirituality and the problems of individuals and society.… (more)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (26)
In Care of the Soul, readers are presented with a revolutionary approach to thinking about daily life—everyday activities, events, problems, and creative opportunities—and a therapeutic lifestyle is proposed that focuses on looking more deeply into emotional problems and learning how to sense sacredness in ordinary things.

Basing his writing on the ancient model of “care of the soul”—which provided a religious context for viewing the everyday events of life—Moore brings “care of the soul” into the twenty-first century. Promising to deepen and broaden the readers’ perspectives on their life experiences, Moore draws on his own life as a therapist practicing “care of the soul,” as well as his studies of the world’s religions and his work in music and art, to create this inspirational guide that examines the connections between spirituality and the problems of individuals and society. - from publisher
  PendleHillLibrary | May 29, 2024 |
>“I’m often surprised in my therapeutic work when an otherwise mature and discerning adult who is faced with some tough choice collapses everything into the statement “I can’t be selfish.” When I explore this weighty moral imperative with the person further, I usually find that it is tied to a religious upbringing. ”

I feel like there is something to gain from everything you read, but IMO, this is a book that has a very specific niche: those who do not understand myth, psychology, or how systems organize organically regardless of individual neuroticism, and want to understand deeply why all their experiences are not validated in depth by others. If you tie back ignorance about own actions regardless of what that person justifies that action as, all the way to upbringing, you are ignoring all the interactions in between that made that hard to validate any self (adult or child) against, and those exude a similar lack of connectedness to child while having nothing to do with anything religious or upbringing related. ( )
  womanwoanswers | Dec 23, 2022 |
Care of the Soul, a philosophical guide, shows how to add spirituality and meaning to modern life.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Dec 19, 2022 |
from cover

'From time to time I've been jolted byan extraordinary book which stops my world. It forces me to look at reality in a different way-a more expansive and meaningful way. It has provided a missing piece for me.'--John Bradshkaw, author of Homecoming

'The sincerity, intelligence and style-so beautifullly clean-of Tom Moore's Care of the Soul truly moved me. The book's got strength and class and soul, and I suspect may last longer than psychology itself.'--James Hillman, author of Re-Visioning Psychology

'This book just may help you give up the futile quest for salvation and get down to the possible task of taking care of your soul. A modest, and therefore marvelous, book about the life of the spirit.'--Sam Keen, author of Fire in the Belly

'Thoughtful, eloquent, inspiring.'--Alix Madrigal, San francisco Chronicle

Thomas Moore is a leading lecturer and writer in North America and Europe in the areas of archetypal psychology, mythology, and the imagination. He lived as a monk in a Catholic religious order for twelve years and has degrees in theology, musicology, and philosophy.

Contents

13 The sacred arts of life
Notes
Suggstions for further reading
  AikiBib | May 29, 2022 |
I was uncertain of the rating. I found the 1st third of the book to be quite well done and intriguing. The last half didn't appeal to me as much, but perhaps that is because his bias began to show. And because he reminded me of a conversation I didn't want to have and the person who made me have it anyway.

He's also a definite fan of Freud. I prefer ... not Freud most of the time. Not a favorite, but I will clearly acknowledge my bias. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
The great malady of the twentieth century, implicated in all of our troubles and affecting us individually and socially, is "loss of soul."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,747,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible