Good Girl, Bad Blood: The Sequel to A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

4.5 stars ( )
  JCGirl | Oct 14, 2021 |
4.5 stars ( )
  JCGirl | Oct 14, 2021 |
Pip and Ravi have exonerated Ravi's brother, Sal, finally allowing for the town to let go of its hate and begin to heal. Pip thinks she can go back to the life that she was leading before her investigation rocked the town to its core, but she's made enemies. When Pip's friend, Connor, begs Pip to find his missing brother, Jamie, she is reluctant but can't turn her back when the police refuse to help. Meanwhile, Ravi is attending Max's trial daily and keeping Pip updated on the progress of the case. They all expect that the overwhelming amount of evidence and testimony will convict him.
Good Girl, Bad Blood includes many clues for Pip and Ravi to follow in their search for Jamie, but there are lots of people who don't want them to looking for him, creating much of the conflict. A layer of depth is added to this story over the first book in the series because we now see the impact Pip's investigation has had on her life and what it takes for her to become involved a second time. Much of the story is again told using case notes and also a blog that Pip establishes covering the outcome of the first case and the new one regarding Jamie's disappearance. A couple of minor complaints - it seems reasonable that once Pip had evidence to support the idea that Jamie is truly missing, the police would have stepped in and taken over the case. In addition, some of the twists that come at the end are foreshadowed a little too much, but overall, the many suspects and clues are woven into a compelling mystery. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
The thing about a good thriller is the fact that it makes you think. It makes you think along with the protagonist about the pieces of puzzle, the clues, the tics of a person, and most of all the emotions of a person.
At the end, it's the emotions that make a person do the unthinkable. ( )
  VipashaAiyer | Sep 28, 2021 |

I loved 'A Good Girl's Guide To Murder' for Pippa's energy and discipline, for the twisty, surprising but credible plot, for the accurate contemporary setting and for the clever use of a school project format to tell the story. It was pretty much perfect, except for the last chapter. In my review at the time, I said:

My only criticism of the book is the final chapter. It’s one of those “Three Month’s Later” things. It’s well-written but, to me, it seemed too neat and too preachy. The rest of the book convinced me, even when it surprised me, but this seemed too simple.

Well, the sequel really makes up for that. It deals with the aftermath of Pippa's revelations, including the ongoing rape trial. Pippa has grown up in the intervening months. She's had time to count the cost to her and to others of her neat little investigation. She's had time to think about the person she became when her search for the truth became an obsession and she's starting to have regrets, to repudiate the person she'd been then, to promise not to be that person again.

Even so, she's turned her project into a successful podcast, serving up the story of her investigation and keeping current with the rape trial. When the trial is done, she'll put it all behind her, go back to being a Good Girl, focused on getting into Cambridge. Be herself again.

Of course, that doesn't happen. None of us gets to be the person we were before we did the things that define who we are now. Pip knows this. She's guilty about it. She's determined to deny it. Until the brother of one of her friends goes missing and Pip has to push the Good Girl to one side and let her chase-the-truth-until-you're-shaking-it-in-your-jaws self loose again.

I enjoyed 'Good Girl, Bad Blood' just as much as its predecessor but for different reasons. Holly Jackson wisely avoided writing another version of the first book but with a different puzzle to solve. She kept the same characters in the same location but she let them grow. Made them grow, actually. She replaced the school project format with a podcast format and the use of Social Media. I thought this worked well but it was never meant to be the main event. This story isn't really about solving a Missing Person case. It's about Pip learning that 'solving' isn't what it seems, that the world is darker and less amenable to relentless logic than she thought and that she, not her Good Girl uniform but the real her, the one who hunts and avenges obsessively, is strong enough to take on that darkness as long as she's willing to pay the price and as long as she knows she won't always win.

I thought 'Good Girl, Bad Blood' was a remarkable book and I think it confirms Holly Jackson as a remarkable writer. I've already ordered the third book in the series, 'As Good As Dead'. It comes out in August and I'm looking forward to making it a favourite summer read.

I recommend 'Good Girl, Bad Blood' to you, but don't start there. Go back to 'A Good Girl's Guide To Murder' so that you can see Pip change. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | Apr 7, 2021 |

Hite, CaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landon, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reed, Maggi-MegNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,129,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible