dismiss

Secret Investigation (Tactical Crime Division Book 2)

by Elizabeth Heiter

Series: Tactical Crime Division (book 2)

1061,395,360 (4.6)None

The spectacular failure of supposedly-powerful, ultra-strong, bullet-stopping full body armor leads to the deaths of a group of soldiers and launches an investigation by the FBI’s Tactical Crime Division. Petrov Armor, once a supplier of both guns and armor, has shuttered their gun division and now, under CEO Leila Petrov, focuses solely on body armor . . . the same body armor worn by the doomed soldiers.

Still reeling over the death of her father during a mugging gone wrong some three weeks earlier, Leila struggles with the fact that the defective body armor came from her company and has trouble believing that Petro Armor harbors a traitor. Nevertheless, she agrees to an undercover FBI agent coming into the company to investigate. Davis Rogers, determined to find the traitor responsible for the defective armor that led to the death of his friend, Jessica Carpenter, assumes a position as Leila’s assistant.

As Davis searches for the culprit responsible for the horrific deed, will he find a traitor? And what other secrets does Petrov Armor hold, waiting for Davis to discover?

In this, the second in the multi-author Tactical Crime Division series, the twisting plot takes readers in surprising directions as new revelations emerge. Strong, well-drawn characters populate the story; they, along with the fast pace and a touch of romance all work together to keep the pages turning. A parallel investigation with other agents looking into the Petrov gun distribution keeps the tension pulsating while danger builds the suspense and pulls the reader into the telling of the tale from the very first page.

Although a sub-plot involving other characters [waiting for the next story?] is not fully resolved, this stand-alone tale is sure to satisfy readers who will find the action-packed story a worthy addition to this new series. Double crosses, plot twists, derring-do, and adventure are the hallmarks for this difficult-to-set-aside tale that keeps readers guessing until it reaches its perfect conclusion.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Jun 8, 2020 |
Fantastic story that gripped me from the first page to the last. FBI agent Davis Rogers was devastated to learn of the death of a friend of his when her unit's body armor failed. When he learns that his team will investigate the manufacturer, he wants in on the assignment. He is determined to bring the traitor to justice.

CEO Leila Petrov was horrified to discover that her company's armor had failed so badly. She is more than willing to give Davis unlimited access during his undercover operation. She is also determined to be part of the investigation.

Sparks flew between Leila and Davis from the beginning. Part of it was Davis's certainty that someone at Petrov was a traitor against Leila's refusal to believe that anyone at her company would do something so heinous. The other part was the attraction that flared between them. Unlike some romantic suspense stories, both Davis and Leila are aware of the complications that could arise if they give in to their attraction. I liked the way that they got to know each other, admitted to their feelings, yet still managed to keep things professional between them. There was a little trouble with trust between them near the end when they butted heads over the likely suspects. Both had to take a good look at whether love could overcome those momentary lapses. I liked seeing them come together at the end, ready to move toward a future with each other.

The suspense of the story was fantastic. Davis is driven to discover the truth behind his friend's death. Leila will do anything she can to prevent any more deaths. Leila is working at a slight disadvantage, having only recently taken over as CEO from her father. Some employees feel she isn't up to the job, especially after she ended their weapon manufacturing to concentrate solely on armor production. As the investigation progressed, Davis and his team discovered that the problem was much bigger than they suspected. The more they learn, the narrower the suspect pool becomes. The number of twists and turns kept me guessing until the very end. Every time I thought I knew who it was, something would point to someone else. Then someone else would move to the top of the list, then back to the first person. I was a little disappointed in Davis because I thought that he allowed his personal feelings to influence him a little more than he should have regarding one suspect. The final confrontation was intense, with an unexpected resolution.

There was also a secondary part of the investigation pursued by Kane, the undercover specialist, and Melinda, the profiler. Kane is a loner, as most undercover operatives are, and doesn't appreciate being paired with Melinda, who sees him more clearly than he likes. There are sparks between them, in equal parts antagonism and attraction. Both of them make mistakes that nearly get them killed. It will be interesting to see if they show up again in later books. ( )
  scoutmomskf | May 26, 2020 |
Secret Investigation takes on an intriguing case of faulty body armor and a family-owned business with lots of secrets. The plot is solid, with some good twists, though there are times you have to suspend belief a bit regarding the way the investigation plays out.

I wasn't crazy about the romance between Davis and Leila. For me, there was way too much fawning and swooning between the two, especially given their positions as an experienced FBI agent and a company CEO. Aside from the physical attraction two people might feel when meeting, I didn't see enough between them to create the intense bond and insta-love reaction.

Still, the story and cast of characters held my interest throughout.

This is the second book in the four-book Tactical Crime Division series. Each book features different members of the team, and the plots aren't connected, so it reads perfectly as a stand-alone.

*I received a review copy from Harlequin Intrigue, via NetGalley.* ( )
  Darcia | May 10, 2020 |
Secret Investigation by Elizabeth Heiter
Tactical Crime Division #2

The TCD is called in to find out why the body armor supplied to soldiers failed and so many were killed. Davis Rogers is to head up the team looking into Petrov and will end up going in undercover as Leila Petrov’s assistant. There are at least three viable suspects that are being considered. Melinda and Kane are helping out in a side investigation that overlaps the one Davis is working on and their situation is also complicated by...feelings.

What I liked:
* Davis: an army ranger who gives his all to the job and is focused on finding out why the armor failed and his friend died. He is also interested in the chemistry between him and Leila.
* The side story of Melinda and Kane – do want to know how that will turn out...maybe in another book in the series.
* The concept of the series and getting to know the various team members
* Knowing that there will be more books in the series
* That the bad guy was found
* That Leila & Davis have potential for the future

What I did not like:
* The bad guy
* The group that was buying from Petrov on the down-low
* The times I would think, “Would it really happen like that?

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more in the series? Yes

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Intrigue for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | May 1, 2020 |
This book begins with the unthinkable, an act of greed that will make you angry, but why and who is responsible?
One of the FBI agents called into investigate this horrible crime is Davis Rogers, and for him this is personal, he knew one of the victims, and he wants justice!
We also meet the young CEO of the company that is responsible for making the armor,Leila Petrov, and she is soon involved in the investigation, but, you wonder if she is involved?
My mind ran the gamut of who would have done horrible deed, and why, and the deeper we go, the more your ideas change and why?
This one will keep you riveted page turning for the answers!

I received this book through the Publisher Harlequin, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 21, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,924,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible