dismiss

The Talented Miss Farwell: A Novel

by Emily Gray Tedrowe

This is a very fast-paced novel about small-town Midwestern municipal employee slash art collector Becky Farwell, who finds a, shall we say, imaginative way to fund her fancy habits. While there were brief moments where I felt things were a bit one-dimensional, overall I found this a good read, even as I loathed nearly all of the characters. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Jun 4, 2020 |
I got an advance copy of this book from Harper Collins Publishers, thank you.

I really enjoyed this book and found it fascinating how Becky lived two lives, important in both such different communities. I loved that her passion was art. I really think it deserves 4 1/2 stars.
The story begins with Becky in a small farming town in Illinois. She lives with her widowed father. She is sharp, smart and a natural take charge person, one of the few who teachers knew would go far given the opportunity. Becky's father's health and business start failing, and single handed, she reorganizes it and makes it so it's not losing money. Unfortunately, she realizes that college is no longer an option since her father and the business depend on her. As she winds the business down, she takes a job at town hall in bookkeeping to make ends meet. At one of the many doctor appointments she takes her father on, she wanders into an art gallery/museum, where something triggers an emotion in her, and she realizes the beauty of having something that speaks to you. That starts her obsession with art. An unexpected refund issued to town hall by a contractor, sets the wheels spinning...she could borrow this, buy some art and return the money when she has a bit more saved. Naturally that doesn't happen. She has a great thirst to learn all she can about the art world and does so, leading to two lives.... Great book. ( )
  cjyap1 | Jun 3, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Emily Gray Tedrowe's book The Talented Miss Farwell is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,626,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible