Trouble for Lucia (1939)

by E. F. Benson

Series: Mapp and Lucia (6)

In "Trouble for Lucia," Lucia learns to ride a bicycle, and we live through the saga of Blue Birdie (Mrs. Wyse's dead budgerigar [parakeet] invoke in a seance).Lucia and Georgie renew their acquaintance with the operatic diva Olga Braceley and the composer Cortese, but nobody in Tilling believes her when she claims to have entertained a duchess overnight. Lucia becomes Mayor of Tilling and Miss Mapp is appointed her Mayoress. This is the sixth volume in the "Lucia" Series.… (more)
    Major Benjy by Guy Fraser-Sampson (Quaint1)
    Quaint1: If you enjoy the Tilling novels, you will probably enjoy Major Benjy, which fills in some of the gaps in the story between "Miss Mapp" and the rest of the series!

It's with a certain sadness I finish the last of Benson's Lucia novels, not for the finishing itself as I can, and will, re-read them, but because the intimations of growth I thought I saw in Lucia's character in the previous two books came to naught.

If Olga Bracely and Miss Mapp represent the better and worse aspects of Lucia's character, then, like Georgie, I'm more attracted to her in the former, and repelled by her in the latter mode.

Crediting Benson with knowing what he was doing, Lucia is ultimately shown to be a weak and vain person who tries but fails to rise above her petty, self-centred vindictiveness, and whose airs of being The Champion of the Poor are founded in hollow self-aggrandisement, along with the social stratum she represents. Benson's choice to make the satirical point was, it's sadly clear, prophetic given the subsequent course of social & world events,
but leaves us (well, me, at least) with a diminished Lucia.

I do hold out hope for Lucia, though, as she has shown herself amenable to influence from two benignant sources: the gossipy, but ultimately kind-hearted, Georgie Pillson, and the irreverent and unaffected Quaint Irene. I cross my fingers in hope of Lucia's redemption, and of those she represents.

I have the Tom Holt continuations, and hope that perhaps he takes things in that direction. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Jun 13, 2021 |
A good end to the series - as the title says, Lucia runs into some trouble in Tilling & with Georgie Pillson but, ever indomitable, she rises to the crisis. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 10, 2018 |
The last in the Mapp and Lucia series (right - there aren't any more?) and I've really enjoyed these. They are a bit ridiculous but the characters are so much fun. This one has plenty of Georgie, who I love best. I'll miss this series. Maybe I'll reread them someday. ( )
  japaul22 | Feb 29, 2016 |
Abridged on 3 CDs and read by Miriam Margoyles. Sixth and last of Benson's Mapp and Lucia novels about the battle between those ladies for social supremacy in the village of Tilling. In this one Lucia is now Mayor and apparently triumphant in the social status stakes, but that doesn't stop Mapp plotting to unseat her.

I didn't enjoy this as much as the others, but I think this was mostly because I was ill while listening to it. Still a lot of fun to be had in this gentle satire of social climbing and snobbery in 1930s England. Margoyles again does a stunning job of bringing the characters to life. ( )
  JulesJones | Apr 16, 2012 |
When Lucia becomes mayor of Tilling, the idea is generally put about that she needs a mayoress, and finally Lucia decides it must be Mapp who would be far less troublesome if she had the post. Mayorial obligations are not quite as onerous as Lucia expected, though she manages to make them as onerous as possible by carting (empty) tin boxes around with her and attempting to educate everyone with her lectures. She becomes unpopular even with husband Georgie who causes many a tongue to wag when he spends a little too much time with his opera singer friend Olga who has returned to Riseholme. Meanwhile Diva has opened a teashop (or is it a gambling den), Lucia has an encounter with a forgetful Duchess who is obsessed with beards, quaint Irene's portrait of Mapp and Benjy satirizing Boticelli's Venus on a seashell gets a national award and many other incidents stir lots of little storms in teapots. ( )
  overthemoon | Feb 6, 2011 |

E. F. Bensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riess, LyndaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lucia Pillson, the Mayor-Elect of Tilling and her husband Georgie were talking together one October afternoon in the garden-room at Mallards. The debate demanded the exercise of their keenest faculties.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,100,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible