Cruising Paradise: Tales by Sam Shepard

Cruising Paradise: Tales (1997)

by Sam Shepard

Short stories from the writers life in the SW and making movies ring true. Never over written and sometimes just an essay on an occurence in his life these stories describe a slice of American life that are familiar to me. Since Jim Harrisson died I have been searching for someone to read. He's got the Right Stuff. ( )
  JBreedlove | Jul 7, 2018 |
Good read. It appears to be autobiographical....?....the last third of the book as Shepard deals with his career as an actor are for me the best. The style is easy and elegant. I never had any idea that S.S. was so talented until I met a bookstore owner who knows him personally and told me some funny stories about him. Those stories add another dimension. ( )
  untraveller | Jan 16, 2017 |
Very enjoyable read. I like Sam Shepard. Nothing pretentious here at all. ( )
  MSarki | Jan 24, 2015 |
Stories, vignettes, short dialogues and memoir pieces from playwright and actor Sam Shepard. Most take place in the Western U.S., many in desolate places “ninety miles from nowhere.”

In the stories, love, friendship, and loyalty compete against hate, betrayal, and poor decisions. The memoir chapters are mainly about filming in Mexico, except for a piece about his family's burial plot.

Shepard’s writing is witty and observant. In this volume it’s sometimes hard to tell where the fiction ends and real life begins. ( )
  Hagelstein | Nov 4, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679742174, Paperback)

Cruising Paradise contains 40 short stories by the renowned playwright and actor Sam Shepard. Exploring themes of solitude and loss, Shepard revisits the innocence of boyhood, traverses the confines of loneliness, gives accounts of the farcical exclusiveness of show business and offers an obstinate perspective on death. As in his stage and screen work, Shepard ties these musings to the wilds and open spaces of Mexico and the United States, utilizing the allure and tempo of the open road to bring his writing and self-actualization full circle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

Forty stories on a variety of subjects. The story, The Package Man, describes a man's suicide in a motel, while Wild to the Wild is on a wolf who becomes a bone of contention between two boys.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,168,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible