Daring to Dream by Nora Roberts

Daring to Dream (1996)

by Nora Roberts

Series: Dream Trilogy (1)

To understand Margo Sullivan you first have to meet the super wealthy Templeton family. Margo grew up living in the Templeton household because her mother has been the family's housekeeper forever and the Templetons treat their help like family. I cannot mention family enough! But, even though the super perfect Templetons have always treated Margot like family, she never felt she belonged to them or with them. While every other member of the family stayed close to home, involved with the family's multi-million dollar hotelier business, Margo always needed more, more, more. Like every character in a Nora Roberts novel, Margo sports a beyond beautiful face and impossibly perfect body. As a teenager she left her mother and the Templeton household in search of fame and fortune as an aspiring model. Jet setting around the world, Margo has been gone for years. She has been seen only in pictures as the face of a well known cosmetics company. At that time nothing could stop her, nothing until a scandal involving drugs, her manager and the bus he threw her under. Suddenly knocked her off her pedestal, Margot has to come crawling back to her mother...and the Templeton clan.
Every good N.R. romance has a beautiful someone fighting off his or her passionate urges towards a seemingly unwilling beautiful someone else. Daring to Dream is no different. When Margo arrives home with her tail between her legs, she alternates between hating and needing heir to the family business, Josh Templeton. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Aug 14, 2018 |
Sigh. Once again it seems like I read all the best Nora Roberts books already and am finally hitting the bland, uninteresting ones.

This, like tons of her others, is the first in a trilogy about yet another trio of women who are the best of friends and all grew up in the same house together. This first book focuses on Margo Sullivan, a.k.a. the Templeton housekeeper's daughter, who's still raised as though she's part of the family herself. The Templetons are a super duper rich family that owns hotels and resorts around the world. She grows up dreaming of the finest things in life, which are actually not that far out of reach considering her place of residence during her upbringing, and yet, we're meant to believe she has like, nothing. A poor tortured daughter of the help living in a gigantic house with two best friends, food on her plate every damn day, easy relationships with the Templetons, and somehow she laments about how woe is her and she has to struggle to even survive.

Margo decides to become a model and make something of herself. Ten years later, she's broke, caught in a scandal, and has nowhere to turn but back home. And enter Josh Templeton, the handsome son Margo always had a crush on, to the rescue!

Margo and Josh are probably two of the worst characters in the entire NB universe I've ever read about. Margo is self-serving, self-loathing, spoiled, prideful, arrogant, and downright annoying. Josh is just as arrogant, self-centered, condescending, hotheaded, jealous, and totally a jerk in many ways. They're supposed to be pining for each other for years all romantic like and we're supposed to fall in love with how they fall in love? These characters are incredibly weak and I can't buy their relationship if they sold it at a discount in Margo's new store Pretenses.

For example, Margo is pretty much set to declare bankruptcy and whenever one of her friends/family members offers to help her out, she outright refuses their help because she wants to prove to them? herself? anyone who cares? that she can do it all on her own. Except that everything she then does is as a result of someone's help.

Another example, Josh decides to accuse Margo of something she didn't do, doesn't stick around to wait for her response, and says the nastiest things to her. And he's supposedly in love with the woman? And she just lets him say them because she "fears" the coldness in his eyes? Bullsh*t!

We also get set up with this interesting prologue about a woman in love from the 1800s...that has just about nothing to do with anything else. I'm daring to dream this loose end gets tied up elsewhere in this trilogy!

I'm hoping these other two stories are not going to disappoint like some of those women from the NR Bride Quartet, but with what I've seen of them already, such a dream may turn into a nightmare. Ooo! ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
I really liked this story. It captured my interest from the start and maintained it throughout. I felt the emotions of the characters and I love it when the male admits love first. Margo loses everything in a scandal and goes home to her old friends including Josh, now an attorney.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Good not great. Fairly typical contemporary romance. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
I came to the Nora Roberts party late, but having made an effort over the last couple of years of expanding my fluff horizons, I thought I should at least see what the fuss is all about. This was the first book I read from the author and it wasn't a bad start. I'd actually picked this book up a long time ago and put it down after reading the first few pages because, well, I'm not entirely sure why. There's nothing wrong with it over than it's a bit overwrought. In my older age, however, that didn't bother me in any way. In fact, within a few pages, I didn't want to put it down and, since this was my bedtime reading book, actually would head up to bed early just so that I could get a few more chapters in. (Going to bed early is unheard of for me.) I was unexpectedly drawn to the characters, surprised to like nearly every single one. The plot was also more than sufficient to hold my interest and didn't seem too dated. So why only 3 1/2 stars? It was very formulaic -- which obviously works for Nora Roberts, given her massive success. And, in a way, that's better for her since, although I have no interest in going back and rereading this particular book, I've now begun looking for her other books instead as they are a known and trusted quantity. I would certainly recommend it for a quick, engaging read. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Jun 22, 2012 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemos, A.B. PinheiroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Il ne reviendrait plus.

Margo Sullivan had everything a young woman could ask for. But while growing up along the rocky cliffs of Monterey, she couldn't help but dream of bigger things. The daughter of the Templeton's stern Irish housekeeper, Margo had been treated like a member of the family. Deep down, she knew that money could not buy the one thing she craved most--her mother's acceptance. Maybe things would be different if she could be sweet like Laura--or had Kate's shrewd head for business. But all Margo knew how to do was be Margo, and that meant doing things her own way--no matter what the consequences...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515119202, Mass Market Paperback)

Set in Monterey, California, this first novel in the Dream trilogy features Margo Sullivan, the feisty and beautiful daughter of a wealthy family's housekeeper. She's been offered the same privileges as the Templeton children, but Margo resents handouts. She feels she has much to prove to herself, her surrogate family, and her mother. Margo dreams big--she wants wealth, fame, and success--but she doesn't want anyone else's help. Her plan is to go as far away from home as possible, so she starts with Hollywood and then moves on to Europe, where she finds fame as a supermodel. But when her world comes crashing down around her, Margo discovers that reaching out for help--especially to your family--can be just as challenging and rewarding as solving your problems on your own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:00 -0400)

Margo Sullivan had everything a young woman could ask for.. But while growing up along the rocky cliffs of Monterey, she couldn't help but dream of bigger things. The daughter of the Templeton's stern Irish housekeeper, Margo had been treated like a member of the family.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,362,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible