Loyalty in Death (1999)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (9)

An unknown bomber is stalking New York City. He is sending Eve Dallas taunting letters promising to wreak mass terror and destruction among the "corrupt masses." And when his cruel web of deceit and destruction threatens those she cares for most, Even fights back. It's her city ... it's her job ... and it's hitting too close to home. Now, in a race against a ticking clock, Eve must make the pieces fit -- before the city falls.… (more)

In Death 09
  JimFellows | Mar 3, 2021 |
The In Death series has, for me, always been more about the ongoing characters. I love checking in on Eve, Roarke, Peabody, McNab, Feeney, Mavis, Nadine and everyone else. The plot is secondary, but when the characters and plot are going on all cylinders, boy howdy are these books fun. This is not one of those books. Later books in the series say how Eve brought down a terrorist group that called itself Cassandra. This is that story, and for some reason, it...bored me. Not something have ever said before with this series. Even a twist involving Peabody's brother didn't bring me any further into the story. Ah, well, everyone should get one misfire. ( )
1 vote Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
When a crazed bomber sends taunting letters threatening the city NYPSD homicide detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas loves, she races the clock to find the madman before he keeps his promise to wreak havoc on the corrupt masses. Can she find the bomber before her beloved New York City falls?

In this, the ninth in the “In Death” series, readers will be delighted to find the playful banter between Eve and Peabody is alive and well, offering them a humorous respite from the grittiness of the plot. With Eve working in a different department, readers get to see her in a bit of a different light as the determined bomber tries to destroy what is considered the city’s symbols of the rich. Although written long before the towers fell, today’s readers are likely to find the telling of this tale, with its suggestion of the towers as a possible target, serves as a sad harbinger of things to come.

As always, the relationships are a highlight of the narrative; Peabody and McNab are sure to keep readers chuckling while Eve and Roarke continue to build their lives together. There’s plenty for fans of the series to appreciate here, but those new to the series will find the story works well as a stand-alone.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Mar 12, 2020 |
I would probably never catch up with this series but I don't mind because every time I pick up where I left off it's always a good fun read. ( )
  Headinherbooks_27 | Jan 12, 2020 |
Murder occurs. Investigation occurs. Relationships messy. Villains Identified. Case resolved. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jan 5, 2020 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods; They kill us for their sport. -Shakespeare
Politics, as the word is commonly understood, are nothing but corruptions. - Jonathan Swift
Dear Comrade, We are Cassandra.
"Summerset: " You are, once again, quite late."

Eve: "Yeah? And you are, once again, really ugly. Difference is, tomorrow I might be on time."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,147,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible