Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Guji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen

Guji Guji

by Chih-Yuan Chen

English (65)  French (1)  All languages (66)
In my opinion, this is a good book. Even though this is a modern fantasy book, the storyline can be related to an actual event that can happen. The characters are not humans, but if we change them to humans and change the story around a bit, it could all totally work. The main character Guji Guji is a crocodile that’s been raised by ducks. “I am not walking like a duck, I am a duck!”. He is completely convinced that he is a duck until told and proven otherwise by other crocodiles. The crocodiles try to convince him to let them eat his duck family, he refuses and protects his family. He admits that he is not a duck, which proves he is a well-developed character. In the book it says, “I am not a bad crocodile. Of course, I am not exactly a duck either”. The plot is organized and well developed. There are no points where I am lost in what’s happening, there are no holes in the story. It all flows well and stays consistent. The story started out fine, with no problems, and then a problem appeared, then came to a solution and everything was good again. “Guji Guji had saved the ducks! Guji Guji was the duck hero of the day!” The big picture here that the author is trying to convey is that you don’t have to go along with the norms, and you don’t have to only stay with the people that may look like you or live like you. You are free to do what you please and are not limited to staying with those similar to you. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  HopeFerguson | Feb 12, 2019 |
Guji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen-
I enjoyed this book very much. It was very playful and humorous. The use of personification made the book very cute for me. I enjoyed the tale of the ducks learning and growing up together, despite their differences, believing that they were all ducks. A large green egg rolls into Mother Duck’s nest, and she doesn’t realize it because she was reading.The “ducks” waddled and swam together, and even though Guji Guji looked different and did things a different way, Mother Duck loved him as equally as her other ducks. One day, Guji Guji met these crocodiles who tried to convince him that he was a bad crocodile. The crocodiles explained that the physical features he had were to benefit him in eating things like ducks, and tried to tell him to bring the ducks and practice diving off the pier into their mouths. Guji Guji left sad, and realized that he wasn’t a bad crocodile or a duck either. Although Guji Guji wasn’t a real duck like his brothers and sisters, he needed to do everything he could to protect his family: Mother Duck, Crayon, Zebra, and Moonlight. He meets the crocodiles at the pier the next day and when they were waiting for the ducks to fall down, Guji Guji threw rocks into their mouths. He spent every day becoming a stronger and happier “crocoduck”. ( )
  scarpe10 | Sep 10, 2018 |
I enjoyed this story and the message. Guji Guji is a crocodile that is raised in a family of ducks. Guji Guji encounters other crocodiles one day, and they try to convince him to lead them to the ducks. Guji Guji decides not to take the crocodiles to the ducks because they will eat them and Guji Guji wants to protect his family. Guji Guji at first was conflicted because he knows his is different than the ducks. I like that this story's message of acceptance is put into a kid-friendly scenario. The story focuses on a mixed family of ducks and a crocodile and the ducks welcome the crocodile with open arms. ( )
  vrusse5 | Apr 12, 2018 |
I liked this book because it sends a message about character and how it doesn't matter what you look like. Also, I love how this book sends the message that anything can make you family. Even if you are not biologically related you can still become family. This language is descriptive and clear. I liked the description of each duck. Also, I enjoyed the unique language such as the name "Gugi Gugi". The writing is engaging and is organized. I believe the characters are believable and well-developed. Even though these characters are animals they can relate to real people by the characteristics of the story. This story is written in third person point of view. The plot is organized and has suspense. The alligators ordered Guji Guji to bring the ducks so they can eat them. It was suspenseful when he actually brought the ducks to the location. It was a sign of relief when Guji tricked the crocodiles and threw down hard rocks. The illustrations fit the style of the text. This book pushes the reader to think about differences and family. It doesn't matter the differences because love and loyalty makes family.
  akerek1 | Mar 13, 2018 |
Guji Guji, a crocodile, grows up in a welcoming family of ducks. One day, Guji Guji meets other crocodiles who convince him to mislead his duck family so that they can eat the ducks together. At first, Guji Guji feels very conflicted, but he decides to protect his duck family from the crocodiles. He is able to grow up in a warm and welcoming family, living the lifestyle of a duck.
  UkulelesThatRead | Jan 27, 2018 |

Crocodile Guji Guji was raised by a family of ducks. One day he met 3 crocodiles who told him that he was not a duck. They ask Guji Guji to help them trap ducks. Guji Guji then tricked the crocodiles and saved duck family.

Kane Miller Books

An edition of this book was published by Kane Miller Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible