Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) by Barbara…

Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (2001)

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (18)

The Junie B. series follow young Junie B. Jones as she conquers life and all of its challenges. In this book, Junie B. takes on being in the first grade and the challenge of needing glasses. Junie B. is worried that her classmates will not treat her the same after she gets her glasses, and we know this because of what she writes in her journal and the book being written in first person. These books are a great start for students to begin reading chapter books because of the big font and paragraph format. The book also includes Junie B.'s handwriting as she writes in her journal, so students will have the opportunity to read text that is written in a different format. This book could be used during the first week of first grade so that the students can make connections to Junie B. and hopefully want to pick up the Junie B. Jones books and read them on their own. ( )
  brittburditt | Nov 26, 2018 |
I love these books. They are engaging and great for children of all levels. I would have these in the classroom library. This book would definitely be read on the first week of first grade in my classroom. It is such a cute story and Junie B. Jones has a lot in common with the average first grader. Overall, this was a really good book. ( )
  AveryLong | Nov 25, 2018 |
Junie B., First Grader (at last!)
Author: Barbara Park

In my opinion this book is an excellent read for a 1st grader who is just started to read chapter books. Junie B. Jones intrigues young readers with her humor. She also can be relatable to a 1st grader reading this book. The writing of this book is very easy to read. The words are in a big font and there are easy paragraphs on each page. This book also displays handwriting of Junie B. Jones in her journal. The character Junie B. is a fun and witty girl. She even talks with a smart mouth most of the time. This book is written in first person. This book doesn't have much of a plot. It just explains Junie B.’s struggle in the 1st grade. The conflict that Junie B. runs into is she needs to get glasses and she is worried that her classmates will make fun of her. The illustrations in the book help depict the scenes in each chapter. It helps a young reader imagine a picture of the characters and what is happening in their head. Since this book is meant to be fun it doesn't really push readers to think about serious issues. The message of Junie B. Jones is to not be afraid what everyone will think about you. I think this is a great book for young readers who may be needing to get glasses and are afraid to see what their friends will think of them. Also, this book can help young readers keep a positive attitude if they may not like school. The last sentence Junie B. puts in her journal is, “Hey! What do you know?I think I might like first grade!” (Park, page 76). This shows how easy it can be to change your perspective on situations you may not like at first.
  akerek1 | Feb 15, 2018 |
It was about a girl named Junie B. Jones and how she lost her tooth. She didn't want to lose it because she thought she would look like toothless Uncle Lou. Junie also didn't want to put her tooth under her pillow because she thought the tooth fairy witch would come. She made it a big deal but she accepted it and realized it wasn't a bad thing after all.
  beccaholtz | Feb 3, 2018 |
This funny series tells the tale of Junie Beatris Jones. We have followed Junie for a while now and she has finally found herself in the first grade. Not much has changed she is still getting herself into sticky situation both at home and at school. This book is a classic for younger children to get them interested in reading chapter books this series is a classic! ( )
  JalisaLouis | Oct 21, 2017 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

the book is about a funny kindergartener that has finally gone of to frist grade. but, she is still her silly old self.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375815163, Paperback)

It had to happen. The spunkiest sass mouth in room 9 finally graduated from kindergarten. Now the inimitable, irrepressible Junie B. is a first grader--at last! ("My name is Junie B. I think I have mentioned that to you before... B., B., B., B., B.")

The 18th installment in Barbara Park's popular beginning chapter-book series puts our temperamental heroine into a brand-new class where she has to make brand-new friends. And as if that weren't hard enough, her brand-new teacher, Mr. Scary ("He made that name up, I believe," Junie writes in a journal assignment), figures out that she needs eyeglasses. Will all the other kids laugh at her? Will that obnoxious Excellent-plus-getting May become even more obnoxious?

With Park's solid track record, the appeal of Junie B. just can't be doubted-she can be a good friend to readers her age, which is a difficult grade level to find fun books for. And even kids who don't need glasses will likely still giggle along as Junie B. plays "the E game" (an eye test) with the nurse, and kids who do need glasses will find themselves with a strong (if a little scared at first) ally. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Junie B. thinks first grade is a flop when her kindergarten friend Lucille prefers the company of twins Camille and Chenille and Junie B. needs glasses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,574,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible