The Hundredth Man by Jack Kerley

The Hundredth Man

by Jack Kerley

A reasonable start to the series which is quite enjoyable but is just missing something, it does build pace as the book goes on and builds great tension towards the end of the book. I like the central characters in the book. Hopefully just a faltering start with his first book, having read a later book in the series I know these get better, so I will be continuing with the series. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Hundredth Man introduces the reader to Carson Ryder, a Mobile, Alabama homicide detective and one of two detectives assigned to the Psychopathological and Sociopathological Investigative Team, or PSIT. PSIT is a unit created to investigate freakish homicides. The other half of the team is Harry Nautilus, a more experienced detective. When a killer begins to leave headless corpses around the Mobile area, it seems to be exactly the situation for which PSIT was brought into existence. However, the team is kept on the sidelines by an egotistical police captain who never makes a move without checking to see what the political consequences will be. As Ryder and Nautilus surreptitiously investigate the killings, they soon discover that the trail of bodies seems to lead to an unexpected place.

Ryder is an attractive character who lives in a house on stilts over the marshy salt waters outside the city. He also has a softer side. He has a psychopathic brother with multiple personalities. Jeremy, who resides in a secure unit within a mental institution, has special intuitive qualities and some unique insight into the PSIT cases. His ability to understand the workings of the depraved mind can be of tremendous benefit to Ryder. There is, however, a terrible price that Ryder must pay. I would read more in this series for this character alone.

This was a very interesting book and I understand the later ones are even better so I've already picked up the second book in the series.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Before I read "the hundredth man" I had read a few others of the books in this series and kept wondering, how the personal story of Carson and his brother started. This, and not the actual plot was the interesting part of this book for me.
I like series, where one encounters the same characters time and again, but often I read a book without realizing, that it is one of a series and I missed the beginning of the story.
I liked the book enough to read others in this series. ( )
  coku | Jul 25, 2015 |
I have read this book about 3 times simply because I forgot I read it. That is very unusual for me. I keep blanking out on this book. When I reach the same place in the book where I think "Why on earth did I bother", it hits me that I have read this before.

I can honestly say the plot is unmemorable. The dialogue is unmemorable. The writing is unmemorable. I only keep it around to remind myself I did read it so I don't pick up another copy at Goodwill or a booksale.

Can I tell you anything about the book right now except the fact that I've read it and don't want to waste money buying it again if I throw out the 3rd copy I bought? Nope. So I think we can safely say, it was bad. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Young Mobile Police Detective, Carson Ryder is a rare man who searches the dark places to find the necessary answers. He and his partner, Harry Nautilus are ordered to the scene when a headless body is found in a park in southwest Mobile.

Both men are part of the newly formed Psychpathological Sociopathological Investagative Team, called PSIT and referred to by other cops in a more colorful phrase.

Capt. Terrence Squill is an ambitious autocrat. When he views the body in the park, he dismisses it as a homosexual meeting that ended in murder.

A second, decapitated body is found and where Squill was highly skeptical about the unit, he is ordered to incorporate it in his investigation team. Resenting their presence, he does as little as possible to assist them.

There is an interesting subplot as Ryder goes out of his way to help a character who is an alcoholic. The author does an excellent job describing the horrors ot that disease.

Another element in the story revolves around Ryder's brother who is locked up in a mental institution. He takes an interest in Ryder's case and seems to have the ability to give Ryder insights into the killer's reasoning and identity. This be-play reminded me of Hanibal Lecter.

The narrative is packed with unpredictable action and the characters are both interesting and appealing. Ryder is a compassionate and engaging lead character.

The story is a great reading experience. ( )
  mikedraper | May 23, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451215540, Mass Market Paperback)

Bizarre messages carved into the flesh of two corpses in Mobile, Alabama, launch a special unit devoted to solving psychotic crimes. They're also launching Detective Carson Ryder into a nightmare with only one weapon-his own terrifying past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

When cryptic messages are discovered on the bodies of a pair of murder victims, Alabama police detective Carson Ryder and veteran officer Harry Nautilus must seek help from Ryder's brother, a convicted killer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible