Who Needs Donuts? by Mark Alan Stamaty

Who Needs Donuts?

by Mark Alan Stamaty

Young Sam leaves home to satisfy his craving for donuts, finds a job with a donut collector, and discovers the answer to the question, "Who needs donuts when you've got love?"

46 months - An odd story with a lot of very odd illustrations. The illustrations are well done but it's just too much clutter for me. O didn't want to read the story at all until I insisted. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A really moving kids story with amazingly bizarre and insanely detailed illustrations. After you read the story to your kid and put him to bed, you re-open the book to figure out what's really going on. ( )
  AThurman | Dec 7, 2014 |
"Who Needs Donuts? - A rhetorical question, surely!

Originally published in 1973, Mark Alan Stamaty's hilariously surreal picture book follows young Sam, who "lived with his family in a nice house," but longed for more donuts than his parents could provide. Venturing into the city, looking for donuts, Sam falls in with maverick donut-collector Mr. Bikferd, wandering the streets with his cart...

"Who needs donuts when you've got love?" demands a sad old woman they pass, and sure enough, Mr. Bikferd - having met and instantly fallen in love with Pretzel Annie - soon abandons his quest for donuts. Now Sam, far from home and in possession of a mountain of donuts he can't eat, wonders what to do...

The illustrations in Who Needs Donuts? are eye-poppingly detailed, and young readers will enjoy poring over them, picking out the many clever little bits of text - in signs, on tee-shirts - that Stamaty has included. I discovered this underground classic, which has something of a cult following among children's literature devotees, a few years ago, and, despite the fact that it was recently reprinted, had been looking about me for an original, vintage copy. Imagine my surprise and delight when I finally found it, the same day I had been frantically searching for those lovely little home-made donuts at the farmer's market near work. Sadly, I didn't find the donuts, but the serendipity of the moment did not escape me. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 15, 2013 |
This book was visually amazing. While the story of Sam and his quest for donuts throughout the big city is a entertaining tale that focuses on the love for others, the artwork steals the show. Not only complimenting the text, the art creates its own unique world filled with busy life and quirky play on words, such as "Boulevard Bowl of Lard." Several times I found myself becoming lost within the illustrations, trying to keep track of the twisting street signs and peculiar pedestrians. This book would be perfect for a child to discover. ( )
  edeidrich | Aug 26, 2012 |
Although the pictures in this book are only black and white, the detail is amazing. It's a story of a little boy named Sam who loves donuts. He rides his tricycle into the city in search of donuts. He comes across Mr. Bikferd, who collects donuts. He and Mr. Bikferd go through the city in search of donuts for their collection until Mr. Bikferd finds love. He gives his donut collection to Sam but then Sam eventually finds love too and decides to go back home. ( )
  taramankin | Feb 8, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,698,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible